all posts post new thread

Nutrition Time Restricted Feeding (TRF)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Higher fiber intake is linked to lower inflammation. As it turns out, the bacteria in the gut ferment the fiber and use it to produce short chain fatty acids. The short chain fatty acids are used by the gut goblet cells to produce mucus. A healthy mucus layer protects your gut from bacteria. Bacterial exposure to your bloodstream through the gut is a major source of inflammation. Higher fiber intake can help to prevent that by maintaining a healthy mucus layer.

Very succinctly summarized. A fun little rabbit hole to go down in the literature:D
Curious, how much fiber do you try to get? Recommendations are all across the board from what I've seen.

One thing I (and I think others) have noted is the effect of easy aerobic work on appetite control and decreased sugar cravings.

Very succinctly summarized. A fun little rabbit hole to go down in the literature:D
Curious, how much fiber do you try to get? Recommendations are all across the board from what I've seen.

One thing I (and I think others) have noted is the effect of easy aerobic work on appetite control and decreased sugar cravings.

I track it occasionally to make sure I don't slip. I just try to exceed 50g per day. That is usually no problem. I start the day with 1 cup of oat bran. I always have 3-4 pieces of fruit, plus some type of leafy greens (i.e., kale, spinach, collards). I often add legumes, plus other vegetables. I am not a vegetarian. I eat some grass fed beef and beef liver, along with wild caught fish, and plenty of free range eggs.

Really, even if I don't target a fiber intake, just avoiding junk food and eating mainly unprocessed whole foods will get me past the RDA for fiber.

Over the post few months I've added more fiber than I've ever added in my diet, but it still false short of recommendations. About 3 weeks ago I started making these huge pots of rice. I add meat or nuts, allot of broccli, and I rotate other veg in and out. I switched from white bread to bread containing at least 3g of fiber 2 or 3 months ago (I actually prefer it now). I also switched from sugary peanut butter to natural peanut butter around the same time. The whole family likes the natural peanut butter, and that suprised me.

My wife has phyllium husk here at the house. I was taking it for a while, but it's nasty. I put a little protien powder in it, which helps allot. I should start drinking a glass of that a night, again.

Hi Matt

Rice and bread would be foods to gradually reduce over time. Even the healthier breads tend to have little fiber for the calorie content. Rice is very low fiber for the calorie content. If you want fiber, consider legumes (beans). A compromise would be beans and rice (heavy on the beans). If you can figure out how to get some leafy greens in daily (spinach, kale, collards, mustard greens, chard), it would really help. You are making some good substitutions, just continue to tweak it little by little. You are doing a good job of heading in the right direction.

The rice came about mainly as a vehicle for veg and meat, also it seems to be very easy on my gut. I started with beans, but they were hard on me. I have this tightrope I walk where it needs to be healthy, but it can't affect me badly. I can eat beans, but sparingly. Maybe if I gradually add them it will work better? I will experiment with some better choices.

Split peas are supposed to be high in fiber but I think they're pretty starchy to. I'm definitely lacking in leafy greans.

Pet, I'll read that information on veg tonight.

On a positive note: I took my last meal at about 7pm last night and was completely satiated until bed at 10. That's very out of the ordinary for me. I also slept like a rock, which was nice. I woke up at 4:30 feeling completely rested, got things together for work, did some light kettlebell practice and headed out. I've just took my first meal of the day and I feel great.

D-rock. I haven't been tracking my fiber very well. The range I've seen recommended has been anywhere from 25-40g. I know I don't get enough. I really need to find some fiber rich foods that agree with me and don't leave me starving. I've noticed with oatmeal, for instance, I'll eat it but feel hungry again in an hour. Not just hungry, but that starving feeling.

Last edited:
Btw- my meat sources are pretty much chicken and beef, although I've been replacing some beef with bison as I can afford it. I want to get to a point where it's all bison because it comes from the fields just down the road.

I've noticed with oatmeal, for instance, I'll eat it but feel hungry again in an hour. Not just hungry, but that starving feeling.

Might be that all oatmeal is not alike (as is the case with many starchy things) -- how it's processed and cooked can affect its glycemic index, or how it affects your blood sugar and appetite. Whole oats are better than quick oats which are better than instant oats... etc. And some of the instant oats have tons of sugar added.

When I do buy oats, I buy steel cut oats. Maybe I'll try some with dinner tonight and see how it goes

The rice came about mainly as a vehicle for veg and meat, also it seems to be very easy on my gut. I started with beans, but they were hard on me. I have this tightrope I walk where it needs to be healthy, but it can't affect me badly. I can eat beans, but sparingly. Maybe if I gradually add them it will work better? I will experiment with some better choices.

Try changing how you cook them. I prefer to use the slow cooker. This (or so I've read) will break down the oligosaccharides which are thought to be the reason that beans cause some people GI distress.

They were slow cooked. I wondered if maybe I went from never eating fresh (not canned) beans to eating them every day for a week.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom