all posts post new thread

Old Forum Time under tendion?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Paul156

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi all , following a previous post about my limited time and resource of a pull up bar and 1 20kg kettlebell, panel suggested ladders of c&p with pull ups working up to 10 ladders of 4 rungs. When I got to 6 I was conscious of the time it was taking and was feeling more conditioning than strength. I took on board something I'd read in convict conditioning and used the time under tension method of 4 seconds up 4 seconds down, which seems much tougher, although I can only manage 3 ladders this way. I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on the benefits of time under tension and whether this approach is going to be more beneficial in strength gains than the original approach . Obviously pavel knows what he's taking about, but I think it's mentioned in one of his books too . Thanks in advance.

Hello Paul Davison,

Do you have a link to the previous discussion?

There’s always “time under tension” but doing a movement slowly as you describe have its benefits, as has been noted by many over the years. It can certainly lead to new bursts of muscle growth if that’s what you’re after. Personally, I prefer to use it every now and then – but not as a main method – to change things up, though I’m not a big fan of slowing the concentric, just the negative phase.

Good luck.

Paul, you are mixing methods.  If it feels like "conditioning", you need to take more rest between sets, even divide the workout into a morning and evening session.

Thanks for your thoughts.

stephan, here is the original link http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/body-weight-programme

hi pavel. By conditioning I mean that the reps are easier and do not become a challenge until round 5 or 6, where as with the slow time up and down the reps are tough from the outset.  This may be my ignorance of "if it's not hurting it's not working", and I am more than happy to take your advice. As before my goal is strength (which I now accept as the greatest goal and hope to progress to kb strong with 2x24's once money allows it), however I am currently limited with time. I was finding that I could fire through 5 or 6 ladders with 30 seconds to 1 minute rest between, with time under tension it's currently 3 ladders with 3-5 minutes rest between. Thanks again pavel. I really appreciate your individual responses, as well as all the thoughts from the community.

Paul, "bottom rungs" are supposed to feel easy.  An opportunity to painlessly add volume and finess your technique.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom