all posts post new thread

Old Forum training for longevity

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
What sort of longevity, Brian?

See CRON for diet information that is supposed to improve longevity - note, please, that I don't practice this and don't know much about it, only that it exists and that some people do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRON-diet

-S-

The simplest rule, imo: Don't do anything that beats you up.

This could mean benching with a straight bar, low bar squats, heavy getups, high volume presses, too much hollow position work, etc. etc. (depends on the individual).

As a 23 year old with only one serious injury ever, I feel like stumbling upon the StrongFirst community was probably the best thing possible for my longevity. Through SF courses, I've met a lot of stronger older folks, some with many aches and pains and others with few, all of whom really drove home the importance of training sustainably. I trained like that for a few years before and consider myself lucky that I did not get any permanent injuries.

The other thing I would recommend is reading Intervention.

As a 57 year old male who has been athletic for 45 plus years, it is my option that consistancy is the most important aspect of longevity as relates to physical well being. I have tried everything from triathons to powerlifting and been pretty successful at each. But, whatever the modality, I did the research on the best techniques and followed the results of that research. I have never been injured and currently have full use of all my faculties. I have been using kettlebells blow for 14 years and find 4/5 days a week is doable indefinitely.

Dan John's Park/Bus bench seems they way to go, with SF programming. With regards to eating I've recently taking an interest in traditional cooking (mostly Meditarranean but also Asian).  The basis is whole, locally (as possible)  produced food in sensible portions, no snacking between meals and infrequent indulgencies, after a month or 2 of eating this way I'm easily keeping weight off and feeling this is a very substanable, stress free  way of eating, which I guess history has already proven (I recommend reading Michael Pollan's 'In the defence of food'). I'd like to think park/bus bench with KB's and a sensible yet enjoyable approach to eating will see me through to a decent age with full movement and strength.  

I'm on my 2nd stint of S&S, this time taking it much slower trying to understand and perfect every movement before movng on to the next bell, which I'm loving and has given me a diferent out look to my training/practise, much like my new diet has. Take time to enjoy.

Recommended reading - in my opinion one of the best articles by Pavel.

http://www.strongfirst.com/the-cost-of-adaptation/

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom