all posts post new thread

Old Forum Training in phases

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SantaClause

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey,

I’m thinking about alternating three different 3-5 week phases with basic lifts (sq, bp, dl and pushpress) and doing supporting moves such as dips, chins and rows. Do you think something like this would work?

First phase would be 3-4 week volume phase, something like set/rep 10x5 or 8x8, increasing weight every time I can get all the reps or the Russian bear program.

Second phase is 3-4 weeks of 5x5 with higher intensity.

Third phase is 2-3 weeks of high intensity/low volume like 5x2 or 3x3 or 7-10x1 with 90%</1rm.

After that I would start over volume phase with little heavier weights.

This year I have done Faleev’s 5x5 for 15 weeks and couple cycles of John Christy’s 531, where you do three week cycles where first week is 5x5, second 6x3 and third 7x1. I want to include higher volume from now on and want to stay little longer on each set/rep scheme.

My primary goal is to get stronger but I also want to gain muscle mass in the process.

My lifts are really weak, max bench and squat being in 215 pounds and dl 320 pounds and goal is to get bench to 300lbs, squat to 330lbs and dl to over 400 lbs.

From what I’ve read about training in phases(blocks?) some say it works well and some say it doesn’t work , so what do you guys think? Is this good or would it be better just do volume training couple times a year and stay on strength only program (like pttp or ws4sb) rest of the time?

Sincerely

Niko H.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom