all posts post new thread

Old Forum Training the muscle up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Northern Kettlebells

Level 5 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
I just tried to do a muscle up and surprisingly managed it first time. Pull ups have always been pretty strong, I can comfortably pull 40kg.

My questions is; because I can only do 1 rep, what would be the best way to train it?

I was thinking about a bit of a GTG approach, so 2/3 days a week, going for 5 singles throughout the day, but I'm not sure of this might just lead to burn out.

I would appreciate peoples thoughts if they have any experience of this situation

Sounds like a fine idea. If you were able to bust one out with no real practice then greasing the groove should pay off quickly.

Chris,

I'm impressed!  Muscle-up on the first try!  It took me 5 years to get my first ring muscle-up.   I can now do five in a row any time I want.   What helped me were hanging leg raises or L pull-ups.  I hold my legs straight out during the pull-up.  Then I time my legs to drop right when I do the transition.  That made the transition to the dip much easier.  I picked this detail up from Al Kavadlo's book, Raising the Bar.

Hi Jim, I have been doing a lot of L-sit variations lately, so that may be why I managed it.

Andy, i think I will go for GTG. Thanks

Chris, you have learned that strength enables everything.  In the case of muscle-up, a reserve of pullup strength allows one to go faster—and higher.

It would be better to do a couple of reps per set to get the feel of the MU rhythm.

Thanks Pavel.  It is a pretty cool feeling that I was able to do a difficult exercise without any training just because i was strong!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom