all posts post new thread

Barbell Trap bar

Not speaking for SF but I love it. I find I get the benefits of both the squat and DL without the load on my spine. I do BJJ 4 or 5 times a week and getting both a squat and DL session in (and recovery from them) just doesn’t happen anymore in my mid 40’s.

Not speaking for SF but I love it. I find I get the benefits of both the squat and DL without the load on my spine. I do BJJ 4 or 5 times a week and getting both a squat and DL session in (and recovery from them) just doesn’t happen anymore in my mid 40’s.
Yes thats the thing for me as well: doing one hard thing for the lower body. Mid 40s here as well and SQ+DL in a week is starting to be a bit to much.

Trap Bar is awesome for a home gym. It just feels biomechanically correct for most people. You can move big loads and not tear yourself up at the joints.

What is the SF opinion on trap bar DL in lieu of conventional DL?
General fitness and health. Im thinking of it as ”something heavy” in addition to KB and BW training.
For that purpose, I think it's fine.

TL;DR
In my home gym, the trap bar is an ungainly thing that sits propped up in a corner because it just gets in the way too much otherwise.

I have used it when getting ready for an AWA meet where it is a contested lift.

For adding some quad work to help one's DL start, I can see it having use. I'm currently pulling a regular bar behind my back, the Hack DL, for that purpose.

-S-

Trap Bar Trainining

The Trap Bar provides training benefits dependending on the Training Effect an individual wants to obtain.

Thus, the quesition is...

For what goal?

Hyperbolic Statements

Statements that begin with something being "The Best" or like this article stating the Trap Bar Is "The Most Important Exercise" are over exaggerated.

If something were truely "The Best" item or method of Training, that would mean everything else is Second Best or obsolute.

Why would an individual go with Second Best rather than going first classs with The Best?

With that in mind let's look at...

One Of The Best

Rather than incorreclty labeling something as The Best, it should be labled as One of The Best.

With that said, The Trap Bar is definitely one of the best, as Steve indicated, dependent on the Training Objetive.

Let look at example of...

Power Output Training

1) Trap Bar Jump Power Training

Researech has determined that Trap Bar Jumps with Moderate Loads produce Power Outputs and development that rivals Olympic Movements; some of, if not the Highest Power Outputs measured. It is a staple of most athletic training programs.

Essentially, Trap Bar Jumps are Olympic Low Bar or High Bar Olympic Pulls. The loading determines if it is a Low or High Pull.

2) Dumbbell Squat Jumps

For individual that don't have a Trap Bar, Dumbbell Squat Jumps, are essentially the same as Trap Bar Jumps.

Post 1

Previous information on this is in Post 1

3) Kettlebell Swings

As with Trap Bar Jumps, research shows that the Power Output rivals that of Olympic Movements; provding the right loading is used. The loading parameters for Power Kettlebell Swing have previous been posed on this forum.

4) Olympic Movements

Olympic Movement produce and develop Power.

During Entire Snatch or Clean Pull Movements:
34.3 w/kg Men
21.8 w/kg Women

Second Pulls:
52.6 w/kg Men
39.2 w/kg Women

With this basic breakdown in mind, the power output comparisons of a 100-kilo male lifter in the clean, second pull and deadlift would be as follows.

Clean-------------3430 watts
Second Pull-----5260 watts
Deadlift----------1200 watts

Obviously, there is a huge difference in power outputs. The power output of clean pulls is 2.85 time greater than a deadlift. Second pulls are even higher with power outputs 4.38 times l arger than deadlifts. Garhammer's research showed that even when dropping the training poundage down to lower percentages for Olympic pulls and deadlifts, outputs for Olympic pulls were still almost twice as great. Starr was way ahead of the curve on his training in regards to Olympic pulls for deadlifts. Source: The "No Deadlift" Deadlift Program, Powerlifting USA Magazine - SEPT/01.

Last edited:
I do love the trap bar lift. It’s a fantastic whole body builder.

I tend to use it in an unusual way though:
  • Using the low handles and, maybe, from a slight deficit, I try to go all the way up using the most squatty form I can muster.
  • And, on the way down, I just make sure to RDLing the load until the plates touch the floor.

Back
Top Bottom