all posts post new thread

Old Forum Turkish get up roll to elbow

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rambro

Level 1 Valued Member
To whom it may concern,

I want to start off by professing my belief in Strongfirst. I am a law enforcement special operator with a lot of mileage, who has recently found salvation in the Strongfirst community and principles. Thanks to Pavel and all the other great coaches for sharing what they do. My ability and longevity as an operator have been improved and preserved as a result of adopting this training.  I am a huge proponent for Strongfirst within the law enforcement community, and it is catching on like wildfire, because it gets results.

Getting to the point, I am having a lot of trouble with the tgu. I got up to the 70 pretty quick and was doing great, until I realized I was rushing it. I heard someone say that if you can't do it slow you are hiding something, and I saw a lot of truth in that. Problem is, that going slow has sent my progress in reverse. I now toil endlessly with proper positioning, activation, movement, etc., and feel it has become counter productive. I am flexing down arm lat hard, extending/dorsiflexing down leg as shown. I have Pavel books and videos for reference, but am still stuck. Seeking hands on guidance from an SFG is still not a current option. Any help on proper cueing would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Justin B.

Justin, can you post a video? You'll get a lot of feedback from SFGs and other knowledgeable folks. In addition, kettlebells from the ground up is a great resource. How slow is slow for you? Sometimes I find people are exaggerating it too much, and a happy medium is the answer.

To add to what Jason said, may I ask how you are with a light weight?  If you can do it slowly with a light weight but not a heavy one, that's OK - you have found a weakness to address, so drop the weight and do what you need, building up reps with the lighter weight and then working your way back to a heavy one

+1 to the video suggestion.

-S-

Thank you both for the replies. I went back down to using a 35 and 44 depending on availability. I can do the get up slow no problem with both, but feel that my technique doesn't look like it is supposed to, which feels like it's defeating the purpose of lowering the weight.  My biggest problem is with keeping the knee of my posting leg in line with the toes, and not knowing if I'm rolling to far to my side. I will try to post a video for feedback. Again, thank you.

I have 35, 44, 53, and 70 lb kettlebells. I use the simple and sinister program almost daily, with pull-up pyramids 2-3 times per week, some sprint work once or twice a week (track or hill), and a long run, weighted ruck, or weighted carries once or twice per week. Occasionally I will do a variety kettlebell workout (like those from Strongfirst web app) and sometimes take a week off and do just Rite of Passage to test my improvement in shoulder girdle strength/stability.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom