all posts post new thread

Old Forum Twice Daily?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NJBill

Level 1 Valued Member
I have been following S&S for 9 weeks and will start adding in sets with 32 kg in a few days.

For the next month S&S will be in the p.m. for me, but I have some time each morning to add something else (about 12 hours before my evening exercise). Twice daily has a psychological benefit for me, and would like to add something in the morning that would help with weight loss and/or conditioning.

I love S&S and don't want to impair my progress with it (I have been getting 5-6 days a week of S&S and will keep trying for 7).

What, if anything, would work well with S&S as a morning program? Would another set of swings on 1:1 be too much for the alactacid system training, or would 30 minutes of stretching be a better investment?

Thanks in advance.

- Bill

You could do an easy movement type session in the morning. You would want to keep the intensity super low, something like a handful of push ups, some loaded carries and some mobility work. Everyone is different, so can't say for sure how it would impact your evening sessions.

Another option would be this workout Pavel posted: "20min of free style practice with one light kettlebell without setting it down. E.g. 2 goblet squats to 10 two-handed swings to 5 jerks per arm to 1 arm bar per arm to 5 windmills per arm to 10 snatches per arm to 3 overhead squats per side to 5 Sots presses per side to 10 two-handed swings to 5 bent press singles per arm… Keep moving, stay crisp, spread the fatigue all over."

Bill, once your hamstrings have been accustomed to the eccentric stress, S&S type swing training can be done up to 40 sets per session up to 14 sessions a week.  Provided—and it is key!—that your power does not diminish whatsoever and you recover well from session to session and from day to day.

Practically it means add one or two extra sessions a week and see how your body responds.  Then build up slowly to training twice on most days.  Then slowly add sets up to 30-40.  These very precise numbers have been tested in a variety of exercises in several Russian national teams in a variety of sports.

This is effective but not efficient.

Thank you very much for that detailed information!

I'm looking forward to gradually putting it in practice.

In another thread, Pavel said it was okay to do swings in the AM and TGUs in the PM. I have done it occasionally and it works well (I can do quite a bit more in the TGUs with that much rest, although I prefer to do it all at once for convenience).

I know this is an old thread, but how about adding a brisk walk in the morning (I even enjoy that when it’s raining or snowing, and love it when it’s still dark outside… yeah I’m weird like that)

you could throw in some really fast running segments if you feel it, meaning you go for the walk and if you have lots of energy you just start to run, as fast as you feel it! To me that just feels awesome, I can really feel my hunter genes doing that (I told you I am weird)

summary, go for brisk walks, run when you feel like it, crawl, jump, climb, whatever, just move, make it play time! frees the mind so much better than anything else

Claude, walking makes a good addition to many programs.  I wouldn't advocate brisk walking, however.   I prefer a yin (soft) approach, walking as relaxedly as possible without compromising posture, nose breathing both in and out.  Let your strength training sessions be the yang (hard) component of your training and treat walking as you would meditating or stretching.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

-S-

Steve,

Actually I couldn't agree more with you, I should have said "walk" or "play" instead!

My main point is to do just what you feel, if you feel like running really fast, do it, if you feel like a leisurely stroll and smell the flowers, make your day! the point is to enjoy it! treat it as play time, life is about having fun! :)

I think we are actually saying the same thing (or close), but english is not my natural language so I may express myself badly :)

Claude, it's OK.  There are fans of brisk walking and that's OK with me, but thank you for clarifying what you were trying to express.

English is not a natural language even to those of us who grew up speaking it.  I'll take Italian any day. :)

-S-

Building up to 14 sessions of 30-40 sets sounds like a long-term plan for "building a bigger base", or for hard-living individuals, "when your work is your training".

Great knowledge, Pavel!

But just to be sure: 40 sets of how many reps? 10? As-many-as-you-can-do-with-100%-power ? My 'intuition' tells me that if you're doing swings the set might be 10 reps, but if you're doing barbell dead lifts, then a set might be 1-5 reps tops.

(And if we're alternating 1H swings left and right, then each hand is a set, right?)

If sets are 10 reps, then 40 sets = 400 reps x twice daily = 800 daily reps.

Thanks for sharing knowledge!

/Ulrik

Thank you for your kind words, Ulrik!

10 reps, which is about as many a normal athlete's alactacid system can sustain high power.

How is you DL training?

Thanks Pavel!

DL is on pause as I'm chasing the 'Simple' goals (a hair away) - also I'm going to be a father in the next 10 days or so, so I figured the KB was more 'at home'-friendly than the barbell, which requires transport and gym for me.

Aiming to break through 200kg DL before the end of the year, though.

/Ulrik

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom