all posts post new thread

PlanStrong/BuiltStrong Varying Speed for Hypertrophy

There was an article here awhile ago about studies that show varying your rep speed from workout to workout resulted in shockingly high strength increases over trainees who didn't vary their speed. Variability seems to be the name of the game for everything: rep speed, volume, intensity, frequency... did I miss anything?

Nope.
I used to think that as well, but every bit of research on that subject confirms that rapid eccentric is more effective than slow.

I remember you speculating that it was the isometric turnaround that had the juice in a fast negative. I have no idea if you're right, but since then I've been doing fast negatives and focusing on the turning point. It seems effective.

I remember you speculating that it was the isometric turnaround that had the juice in a fast negative. I have no idea if you're right, but since then I've been doing fast negatives and focusing on the turning point. It seems effective.
That's the speculation, I honestly have no idea if I'm right, but the research demonstrates an effect. We know that loaded stretching has a potent effect, and that's what happens with a faster drop (more energy to overcome) and an explosive turnaround.

There was an article here awhile ago about studies that show varying your rep speed from workout to workout resulted in shockingly high strength increases over trainees who didn't vary their speed. Variability seems to be the name of the game for everything: rep speed, volume, intensity, frequency... did I miss
Yes, for strength, but what about hypertrophy?
Doesn’t variability diminish muscle mass?
In Q&D, one exercise program increases the volume and kills the variability for muscle mass. Even at the last pages of Q&D, Pavel mentions that less variability is better for hypertrophy. But then what do I know?

for strength, but what about hypertrophy?
Fast and "Super Fast" Ballistic Eccentric Training

This post references the benefit of Fast Eccentrics for increasing Maximum Strength and for Hypertrophy.

The General Adaptation Syndrome

This applies to everything in life. An over simplification of The General Adaptation Synerome (Han Selye MD. PhD regarding disease) is you either adapt or die The same is true for Strength Training and Dieting.

This true for...

1) Hypertrophy Training

Bodybuilders vary exercises as a means increasing muscle mass.

Secondly, Varying Movement work the muscles from a diffent angle, which contributes to an increase in muscle mass.

2) Strength Training

Varying Exercise is one of the fundamenal method for increasing Strength that is use by Strength Coaches, as well.

Changes in exercises are more effective than in loading schemes to improve muscle strength.

Changes in exercises are more effective than in loading schemes to improve muscle strength - PubMed
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24832974#

Abstract​

This study investigated the effects of varying strength exercises and/or loading scheme on muscle cross-sectional area (CSA) and maximum strength after four strength training loading schemes: constant intensity and constant exercise (CICE), constant intensity and varied exercise (CIVE), varied intensity and constant exercise (VICE), varied intensity and varied exercise (VIVE). Forty-nine individuals were allocated into five groups: CICE, CIVE, VICE, VIVE, and control group (C). Experimental groups underwent a twice a week training for 12 weeks. Squat 1RM was assessed at baseline and after the training period. Whole quadriceps muscle and its heads CSA were also obtained pre- and post-training. The whole quadriceps CSA increased significantly (p<0.05) in all of the experimental groups from pre- to post-test in both the right and left legs: CICE: 11.6% and 12.0%; CIVE: 11.6% and 12.2%; VICE: 9.5% e 9.3% and VIVE: 9.9% and 11.6%, respectively. The CIVE and VIVE groups presented hypertrophy in all of the quadriceps muscle heads (p<0.05), while the CICE and VICE groups did not present hypertrophy in the vastus medialis and rectus femoris (RF), and in the RF muscles, respectively (p>0.05). The CIVE group had greater strength increments than the other training groups (Effect size confidence limit of the difference -ESCLdiff CICE: 1.41 - 1.56; VICE: 2.13 - 2.28; VIVE: 0.59 - 0.75). Our findings suggest: a) CIVE is more efficient to produce strength gains for physically active individuals; b) as long as the training intensity reaches an alleged threshold, muscle hypertrophy is similar regardless of the training intensity and exercise variation.

Yes, for strength, but what about hypertrophy?
In Q&D, one exercise program increases the volume and kills the variability for muscle mass. Even at the last pages of Q&D, Pavel mentions that less variability is better for hypertrophy. But then what do I know?
The increased volume is the magic there.

Bodybuilders do indeed use periodization and variability.

Back
Top Bottom