all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Wall slides/scapular retraction question

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Wesker11

Level 5 Valued Member
The other day I found a video on using wall slides as an overhead press form check. The video was made by @Karen Smith and for the life of me I cannot find it now. In the video she says to sit against a wall, have your arms at 90 degrees, and slide your arms all the way to the top mimicking an overhead press. If you can do this without your arms, head, torso, lower back coming off the wall, then you are probably in good condition to press.

So I gave it a shot and lets just say I didn't get very far. So I've been working at it and I'm a little further but still a long ways away. Then last night I remembered that you should retract your scapula when pressing so I got to my sticking point, retracted the scapula, then boom. I had all this room and went to the top. My arms came off the wall a little, but I could finally get my arms straight. When I retracted my scapula it's like my entire back suctioned into the wall and my arms went up pretty easily.

Does this sound like I'm on the right track? I'm not overhead pressing at the moment nor do I have any plans to soon. I want to work on it cause I know I will in the future. Sorry for the long post and I wish I could find the vid, it's driving me crazy.

Ah that's why you couldn't find it Wesker! Many of her GGS videos go along with articles, and are therefore unlisted on YouTube.

I learned her T-spine mobility drills from her at the Bodyweight class and I use them often. I love the idea that it is not only a drill to improve mobility, but to use as a daily check-in, to see if you need more mobility work on that particular day, before pressing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom