all posts post new thread

Old Forum Weird Question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BenfromWales

Level 4 Valued Member
My partner hates swings but loves Getups. I thought we could do S&S together but swings first put her off. I said just do Getups...any suggestions? I don't want to try to push someone into something hate and I think just doing the TGU is better than nothing...

Maybe show her deadlifts. My wife renamed them to buttlifts and loves them. Also what is her goal?  A word of advice. Do not attempt to train her. Show her exercises if she wants to and give tips if asked for. However to train the own girlfriend is a recepy for disaster.

Try to figure out why she hates swings.  If she's anything like my wife, there is a specific strength reason, or lack thereof, behind the feeling.

Push comes to shove, substitute deadlifts for a while but make sure the form is perfect and the weight sufficient  I prefer sets of no more than 5 - basically half the volume you'd do with swings.  I have a 90 lb. female client who does sets of 5 DL's with the Beast and even that isn't really heavy enough for her, but for 10 sets of 5, I've deemed it sufficient. :)

-S-

Thanks guys.

I'm not trying to train her, I have enough trouble "training" myself. She likes BB Back Squats, KB Getups and Presses...hates BB DL and KB Swings. I personally hate swings as well, with S&S I felt like it was like when I was a kid and I'd eat my vegetables first when we had our Sunday roast so I could get to the chicken and potatoes (Getups)
Anyway, I think I'm going to encourage her to play and explore rather than try to set goals for her.

Maybe she would like straight leg deadlifts or romanian deadlifts as they focus more on the glutes and thus something that might interest her. But squats, get ups and presses is a good training. So probably just forget about the swings.

I have a hard time with my wife, too. Though, I don't really push her to do anything. The only "exercise" she does consistently is walk one to two miles every single day. Other than that, I have her on a goblet squat program (with an end date). Sometimes she also does some yoga.

She doesn't have strength goals and she is at her ideal bodyweight. I think walking is probably the best thing she can do, in her case.

"Barbell back squats, Get Ups, and presses".

That sounds a lot like a program right there. There's an awful lot of buffoonery out there with respect to barbell back squats, so get some qualified instruction. After that, set some goals and have at it.

By the way, you don't like swings either but you're doing a program that is 50% swings. Just something that caught my notice.

I will piggyback on this with a question, can you substitute the swings with deadlifts in S&S? Sort of a hybrid between S&S and PTP, where you do deadlifts (5/3/2) and getups (5/side)? What would be the drwaback of this, or what would you be missing by not doing the swings?

Ben, in my opinion, the best workout is the one you are going to do.  So whatever exercises your wife loves (and it's totally awesome that she loves a lot of big, compound lifts) are probably going to be best for her.  Maybe she'll come around to swings later, if not, she'll probably be fine.

Claude, you could certainly do deadlifts and getups as your workout.  But as you know, you would no longer be following the program(s).  But you would be following the spirit of the program(s).

Dan John has a great article about this that includes many 2 exercise pairings (including the deadlift and getup): http://danjohn.net/2013/10/the-promised-18-week-protocol/

Hopefully it will help you out with setting up your workouts.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom