all posts post new thread

Hypertrophy What is the best program for gaining muscle?

I agree about the importance. But if eating and sleeping alone was that important, profetional joggers, wrestlers and golfers would more or less be in similiar shape. Lets say its one of the main pillars? :)
Well, put it like this: if all you had was a tire and a heavy rock, and all you did was flip the tire, carry the rock, ate at a surplus, and slept well, you would get bigger. Whereas if you had the perfect program and you ate crap or not enough and didn't get enough sleep, your gains would be anemic, if any at all.

And honestly, the most important thing about a program....follow instructions. Don't get distracted.

I would suggest a barbell/dumbbell program over kettlebells, something like 5/3/1 Forever by Jim Wendler and picking a hypertrophy focused version from the book. I think you will have the most and quickest results from this.

Unless you WANT to do kettlebells, in which case I’d suggest either Easy Muscle or Maximorum, both by @Geoff Neupert.
I would second looking into @Geoff Neupert programs. I ran Giant 3.0 with 28kgs for 4 weeks. One day I got out of the shower and my wife asked, "Omg you've gotten bigger!"

What is THE program you recommend for gaining muscle?
Usually any of the StrongFirst world approved plans that either use higher reps per set (like the Giant) or higher volume overall (like ROP). There are plans that are more hybrid and offer a lot of variety. The BuiltStrong Minimalist program can be done with kettlebells is programmed for hypertrophy.

Then there also plans which work through different mechanisms and employ complexes. Some find them to work very well.

That being said, people are different, so there is not THE program.

And some of the plans can be repeated for months (the Giant, RPO, Built Strong Minimalist) and others are usually best for shorter term use (complexes, glycolytic power repeats).

Some people respond better to heavier weights and lower reps (@Geoff Neupert states that he is among them).
Most seem to find double bells to produce more gains, but some swear by single bell lifts.

Personally, I seem to respond best to AXE type training, and ballistics in general. I look much more muscular after having done lots of low rep single bell LCCJs for the past year. Something about the volume and the biochemical reactions from A+A work seems to do the trick for me (relatively speaking - I am still pretty lightweight and skinny).

My goals are as the following - 1. gaining muscle 2. gaining explositvity.
PS: Have a look at this block training approach: Alternating the Giant (double MP) with the King Sized Killer (snatches):

Back
Top Bottom