all posts post new thread

Nutrition What role (if any) does Amino supplements play in your nutrition?

steve-in-kville

Level 5 Valued Member
I had bought a can of Amino Acid powder to use when I'm fasting while doing IF. Directions claim it can be used before, during or after a workout, or anytime I need to boost focus or energy. Its like 5 calories a serving, so I'm not worried about breaking a fast.

Does anyone else use AA's in their nutrition program?

I used to use BCAAs when I worked out fasted. I took them before and after.

Now I’m pretty much always well fed so don’t use them.

I had bought a can of Amino Acid powder to use when I'm fasting while doing IF. Directions claim it can be used before, during or after a workout, or anytime I need to boost focus or energy. Its like 5 calories a serving, so I'm not worried about breaking a fast.

Does anyone else use AA's in their nutrition program?
Yes.

Same.

I didn’t notice much of a difference either to be honest. (Between using them and not for fasted training)

Generally same. I take glycine some nights because someone a decade+ ago raved about having vivid dreams (and it does produce that). Once in a while, I'll buy a glutamine powder if it's cheap - I have no idea if it does anything at all. Other than that, it's just protein powder.

Same.

I didn’t notice much of a difference either to be honest. (Between using them and not for fasted training)
I am only drinking a cup or two of black coffee upon waking (about 4am or so). At about 8:30-ish, the hunger starts to set in so I do the Amino's. My first meal is 10:30, give or take.

So far has been working great. Tomorrow I plan to try an early morning workout, maybe 30 minutes and see how my body reacts to it and how the hunger sets in.

Collagen (and vitamin C) before training sure sounds interesting and worth a try.

I am only drinking a cup or two of black coffee upon waking (about 4am or so). At about 8:30-ish, the hunger starts to set in so I do the Amino's. My first meal is 10:30, give or take.

So far has been working great. Tomorrow I plan to try an early morning workout, maybe 30 minutes and see how my body reacts to it and how the hunger sets in.
That’s a pretty good strategy in my opinion and experience. From what I’ve done and read aminos aren’t terribly beneficial EXCEPT when fasting or consuming low amounts of protein daily.

Lots of info on protein, amino acids, and impact on muscle growth. Can start around 1:20:00. Last 20 minutes or so particularly relevant.

I have been working out at 4am fasted for the past 4-5 yrs. Recently started 20:4 IF, and also only have black coffee. Haven’t thought about BCAA’s at all but I don’t really get hungry ( or desperately hungry ) til after lunch.

I used to have to eat brekkie. I’d wake up ravenous, but these days ( 44 ) I’m quite fine to go til lunch easily, which is why I’m trying the 20:4. Works for my body. I tried 16:8 but it was too big a window, I can easily overeat in 8 hrs.

Will look into it cheers

When my workout volume made recovery an issue, I would often take a BCAA supplement (10g i think) after training and it certainly appeared to assist. DOMS was less severe and went away sooner when I took the supplement than when I didn't

My favourite mix for recovery is a pre made EAA blend (the nine essential amino acids, including the BCAAs) plus glutamine.

Aside from the performance/ recovery aspects, there are lots of interesting benefits of individual aminos.

Eg - Tyrosine helps to produce dopamine, which makes it useful for focus and motivation.

- Arginine boosts nitric oxide production which helps with muscle relaxation (particularly smooth muscle, but also has an effect on skeletal muscle) I suffered from spasms of the oesophagus when swallowing (sometimes called ‘steakhouse syndrome’). Taking arginine daily has stopped this entirely. As a welcome side effect it relaxed many tight muscles so much that my massage therapist was astonished. (Actually I take citruline, which is converted to arginine. Due to better absorption it elevates arginine levels more than the same dose of arginine.)

-Tryptophan boosts serotonin and some people find it helpful for mild depression. (Didn’t work for me when I had depression, but awesome that it works for a lot of people.)

- Carnitine makes DOMS much less likely.

Would love to hear any other uses of specific aminos that anyone has found.

Back
Top Bottom