all posts post new thread

Old Forum What would be some good progressions for the 90/90 and QL stretches?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jeff

Level 5 Valued Member
I am so tight I can't get into proper position to do these stretches.

Are there some suggested progressions to allow me to work towards these exercises?

Jeff, hold on to a rope tied to something for the QL stretch.

Place your folded leg on a table for 90/90.

When I place my folded leg on a table for the 90/90, I guess I will be standing up on the back leg.  I suppose that should be obvious, but I want to make sure I understand.

When I use a rope for the QL, can I anchor the rope to the foot that is in the direction I am bending, or more out on front of me between my legs?

I've been struggling with these stretches.  I found a couple things:

90/90 Paul Chek explanation : this one is going reasonably well, which probably means I'm doing it wrong.

QL stretch variant  : the picture shows a dancer in a different position than the book using a towel around the foot to help pull in the direction of the foot.  I found a gi belt has enough length to go around the foot with hands and feet in the position recommended in the book.  I made a loop which my top hand goes through, I pull with the other hand.  Feels awkward but appears to be working, I feel the stretch without the muscles on the opposite side cramping.

Seated QL stretch  :  I do this at work a couple times a day.  It feels like it stretches the same place.

Thanks for posting the links. I have been struggling with the QL stretch as well.

i think this is the correct link for the 90 90 stretch is

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8p6FtlqpAYg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8p6FtlqpAYg

hopefully Pavel will comment on the seated QL stretch and the QL variant and whether they achieve the same effect as the QL stretch as described in S and S.

Jeffery,

Yes you can modify the 90-90 to suit your current flexibility. You can either stand facing the table with the back foot on the ground and the front leg on the table. You can also sit sideways on the table with the back leg hanging off the side and the foot on the ground.

If your front knee cannot touch either the table or the ground when in any of these positions, place a firm pad or small roller under it to support it. Hope this helps!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom