all posts post new thread

Old Forum Why I still love kettlebells...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jon_Frost

Level 5 Valued Member
I first got into kettlebells around 2001, not long after Pavel resurrected them here in the states.  14 years later they are still my only form of strength training.  I've purchased almost everything Pavel has produced, and will continue to do so, but over the years have never really been able to follow through with any particular program.  I would do the ROP for 2 weeks then decide I like c&j's too much, or start S&S  but not stick with it, etc., etc.  Why I love kettlebells is that I can train 5 days a week for 10-30 minutes doing whatever I like, and get a killer workout.  I'm almost 43, and aside from the wrinkles around my eyes and the silver showing in my buzz cut, I look better than I ever have in my life.  I am 6'2, weigh 155 lbs, and still wear a 32 pants (and require a tight belt to keep them up).  Training with kettlebells is fun, and can be as complicated or simple as I like.  I do it at work (own a martial arts school) and feel stronger and more energized after I train.

I will probably never military press the 32kg bell I bought 14 years ago, and that's ok.  I like to use it for cleans, jerks, and swings.  I may never complete the ROP or the snatch challenge, and that's ok, too.  I like that I can get stronger and fitter, and look good without killing myself.  And I love that I know I will be doing the same workouts and enjoying them just as much for the next 40 years (God willing).

To those of you who've been around for a long time, remember when people used to bitch about the price of kettlebells??  Mine are 14 years old, look the same as the day I bought them, have been used and abused thousands and thousands of times, and will be here long after I'm gone.  They would be a bargain at 10 times the price:)

Anyway, I don't post much because I don't have much to say, but read the forum consistently.  It dawned on me that I've been following Pavel for a long time, and thought I would say why, and once again say "thank you" to Pavel and this great community.

Jon

Jon, those of us who've been reading your posts since 2001 are always glad to hear from you.  Glad to hear you're keeping up with your strength training, although at 6'2" and my weight, you need a sandwich, young man! :)  Heck, I need a sandwich at 5' 7" and 150 lbs.

Drop me an email sometime - we must meet in person before we get a whole lot older, Jon.

-S-

Very cool Jon.  Could not agree more on KBs being a bargain.  Even though my son is only 1.5 I love the idea of passing my KBs to him someday.  Family heirlooms!

Dan

Steve,

My fiancee's daughter will be going to NYU in next year.  I will be up that way quite a bit, and would love a chance to finally get to meet you.  I will email you next time I'm heading up.

Very cool, and I could have written almost the same exact post. :)

My home life has interfered with my training a LOT over the past few years, making it very sporadic. But about six months ago I was just about where you are now. I was 43 years old, 5'10" and 152, and looked/felt better than ever, in my opinion.

I got my first kettlebell from DD in 2000-2001 and yep, it looks exactly the same, as does the second I bought just about a year later.

Kudos and keep it up!

Jon,  Having been around just as long and learning so much from the community back then, Eddie, Johnny Pull ups, Rob Lawrence, Maxwell, Mahler, etc...  It dawns on me that you are following Pavel's program to a 'T.'  The program principles he outlined in his original work,The RKC Book.  The beauty of the kettlebell.  Glad to hear you're doing well!

Very true Mark, The RKC book I have is many years old and worn out, but I still look at it all the time!  And funny you mention those guys, I still want Johnny Pull Ups lats!!!!

Jon, always great to hear from you and thank you for your kind words!

Pressing 32kg should not be a problem—if you put in the ROP volume with 24kg and eat.

How is your TKD practice?

Pavel,

TKD is going well.  I've had my school for over 15 years, and have been training for over 20!! It seems we are all getting older, no?  Hope you are well, and thank you again for your generosity!!!  I hope our paths cross again!  And I will work on that 32:)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom