all posts post new thread

Old Forum Would this be ok sub for S&S style wkt

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jpk

Level 1 Valued Member
I love the minimalist approach to the S&S program while offering maximal benefits.  Unfortunately swings (done correctly) give me some pain at light or heavy weight.  Currently I have been doing the get up portion of the S&S then either adding KB deadlifts or weighted carries.  Thoughts?

It is the ballistic movement of the swing that bothers a disc I have herniated...the other movements do not.

Justin, if your doctor has contraindicated swings, then by all means leave them out. However, having worked with a lot of folks that have disc herniations, you should be able to do them safely and without pain. Indeed, many folks see a lot of benefit from swings. Ideally, see an SFG for some help with technique. Otherwise, post a video on the forum, and we'll all do what we can to help.

If you're not doing swings, barbell deadlifts can make a good complement to getups (sort of a hybrid pttp/S&S), this is a program I use with a lot of people. However, I don't see kettebell deadlifts by themselves taking you very far. Weighted carries are great, but in a whole other category. What are you're goals with the program?

Unfortunately S&S is built around the idea of combining a grind and a ballistic. If you remove the ballistic aspect, then the program is completely different. You could try and cobble something together, but your best bet may be to just seek something else out.

Goals is to build more functional strength while improving movement patterns.  Also, to be able to add on muscle to a 39yr old body as a hardgainer.  Before I get blasted for the not so specific goal let me explain.

The herniated disc in my c6/c7 most likely has been there along with the 4 bulging discs in my cervical spine.  I found this a year ago and have since gotten myself back to regular active minus ballistic movements- BJJ, Swings, etc..

Because of time spent sitting (work) and going from a body building type program into endurance sports I developed quite a bit of muscular imbalances and poor posture (hence the goal of functional strength and developing the proper movement patterns under load).

Due to those same activities and also carrying a thin frame I want movements included within rep ranges that will allow for s0me hypertrophy while not sacrificing the initial goal.

Without question I feel great when doing more isometric movement.  I have been doing get ups 2-3 times a week and always feel good during and after.  The weighted carries are a new one for me but through the passages of Dan John seemed like a good addition.  As far as deadlifts go, yes, I know barbell would get me further but at this time I can grab a couple kb's without pain and eventually move back to barbell dl's.

If any thoughts on out to program this out better I would love to hear.  While it is in a sense a GPP type program my body seems to respond better when doing so.  I do follow the weight progression for the get ups however.

Thank you in advance.

You might try one-legged deadlifts if you're not doing them already. You may find them more effective than regular kettlebell deadlifts.

Also, it seems I remember someone on the forum asking about doing goblet squats instead of swings (had pain or medical issue) and I think Pavel said he could do higher-rep goblet squats (30-50 I think it was). Not the same as swings of course, but something - if you can do them given the situation with your back.

Found the thread with Pavel's comment:

<a title="http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/ss-question-3/" href="http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/ss-question-3/">http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/ss-question-3/</a>

Just read the thread, interesting.  So Pavel is basically saying to follow the same S&S program but sub the goblet squats.   Same set progression? Meaning add a set when ready etc???  How else should the progression be different than in the swing protocol?

Would those suggest that be a good program per goals listed?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom