all posts post new thread

Old Forum Would Zercher Squats work with PTTP?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Michael Corrales

Level 3 Valued Member
I've never been a good DL'er.  My best DL is 390 lbs (power lifting belt only) a bunch of years ago.  I've always been a better squatter.  My best squat is 420 with a belt and best 20 rep squat set was with 285 lbs.  I think this is a body type thing.

Even though DL is not a strength for me, I'd love to get a 400 lb DL as a goal.

Would Zercher Squats be appropriate to use in the PTTP template instead of DL?  I'd like to try out 5 rep/ 3 rep/ 2 rep sets.

I could do them from the ground or from a power rack.

I always seem to tweak my back somewhere in my cycle when doing PTTP DL's.

It should, especially with zerchers in which you sumo deadlift the weight, then do a dead-start zercher from your knees (which seems to involve a bit more skill or groove).

The main problem I foresee would be beating up your forearms a lot.

If you want to build your DL, and you want to do PTTP, why not just use the DL though? If you can't avoid tweaking your back, program a bit more conservatively, maybe cut back to lifting every other day, and warm up/stretch more.

Why not?

I would suggest modifying your zercher to a bottoms up style in a power rack off of low pins.No stretch reflex as in the squat style which would make it closer to a deadlift style lift.You can also create alot of tension(get tighter) on the get go.I would pause rep it with a brief stop on every rep at the bottom get tight and do another rep.This is the way Pavel advocates doing deadlifts no touch and go reps.Do a cycle of these and then a cycle of deadlifts alternating back and forth for a few cycles and see what happens.I believe good things will happen for you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom