all posts post new thread

Old Forum Yoga and Massage for StrongFirst Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

I just wanted to get someone's advice on how important or useful doing yoga 1-2 times/week as well as getting a deep massage 1-2 times/month would be for training and recovery as well as performance. I already plan on going back to my chiropractor who is very good and employs the Active Release Technique but wanted to use other methods as well. Any thoughts?

Without any doubts, a good massage ( deep, trigger points,...) will help for your recovery/ training performance.
Yoga,( various schools,... ) is not supposed to be used to recover but can improve your balance, flexibility and strength, and can be quite athletic.
Now, if you are thinking yoga/ meditation, why not ?

I love my yoga practice, but I wouldn't say it aids in recovery.

If you have any areas where you're glaringly tight or lack range of motion, it would help open things up over time.

Thanks for all the responses as they are helpful. I have done some yoga and know it is not the primary or even secondary tool for recovery but rather it helps flexibility and mobility and is a workout of sorts in itself. Ben I have not tried Simple and Sinister yet but as I continue to educate myself on the strongfirst methodology and reading the articles I definitely will be buying the book and implementing the program as well as attending an SFG course in my area in August.

Victor, if you've done enough yoga to "get" the internal observer mindset, this can be applied to your kettlebell practice -- especially S&S!

My ideal is exactly what you said, yoga 1-2 times/week as well as getting a deep massage 1-2 times/month. Both seem to help me.

Yoga I do about half the time solo, the other half I go to class. Both do me good; solo I have to "check in" with my body and see what is needed. In class, we usually hit something I have totally forgotten about and it is such a relief to release tension where you didn't know it existed. I don't know if there is any real basis for this, but I FEEL like it opens me up and everything flows better, and in this way aids in recovery.

Massage is so expensive and results are temporary, but there's just no substitute... although foam rollers and "Yoga Tune Up" massage therapy balls are at least half as good... and you use them anytime, for free.

I tried a chiropractor for the first time this year and got nothing out of my 10 visits/adjustments. I'm done with that, unless I have a specific problem that they can clearly help with (though I do believe there are cases where that is true).

I do understand all of your points Anna and you're right in that massages can be pricey which is why I would only be able to do it 1-2 times/month at the most unless I made much more money (which as a teacher is very difficult). The yoga sessions on the other hand would only be about $10/session based on the 2 locations (CrossFit facilities that have a yoga instructor come in once a week) I would be going to. Thus I can reasonably go once a week. I actually have a great chiropractor that uses not just adjustments but Active Release Therapy and FMS to assess his clients. Many (maybe half) of his clients are athletes and CrossFitters and he treats athletes at many Olympic Weightlifting meets. I am very fortunate in that respect.

Yes what you are getting from your chiro sounds like it contributes more. I think also, that a lot of the value of "recovery" activities is just that it helps you become aware of little problems before they become big problems. It's hard to tune into the little tweaks and strains while you're lifting or swinging. So in that regard, just about any "soft practice" as Steve Freides says, will help.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom