all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Getting big on Bodyweight

It's so obvious by now that weight lifting (with external resistance, not only gravity) is the most efficient and simplest way to increase size and strength.

Your bodyweight can work but it will take longer and be more complicated than just slapping on another plate or picking up a heavier bell. The progress will be slower because past a certain point there is a large skill barrier to achieving advanced calisthenic skills. To be completely frank, the time spent learning those advanced skills could be better spent on fundamental weight lifting movements that are simpler to overload and progress.

Not only that, not many people have advanced calisthenics movements in them. Some are too tall, have wrong proportions and/or different joint/tendon structure.

You can get big with bodyweight but only you can answer if that's big enough for what you want to look like and if you're willing to put in the exhausting high reps or super slow techniques to get the results you desire.

It is all subjective really. Calisthenics and Bodyweight kind of comes into a few different camps from what I have observed. Some people practise the super complicated gymnastics skills, whiles others maybe Crossfiters which does include a lot of bodyweight stuff and then you have plyometrics. Iron Wolf is bodyweight he and other channels are highrep bodyweight, you also have Frank Medrano, Wild Moose and Michael Vascuez who do plyo circuits also offer some vareity and are very challenging.

A handstand push-up (w. feet leaned against a wall or pillar) is a lot easier for me to do than a bdwt press, probably because the range of motion is less.

Oh wait...against a wall is fair?
Replying to the above two quotes: I do them chest facing wall. Right now it’s just head-to-floor, with a long term goal of hands to shoulders via parallettes or the like.

Even if you can’t balance a freestanding hspu, most anywhere you travel you can find a wall.

I also just prefer the way they feel on my shoulders compared to a barbell. Maybe that would/will change if/when I significantly increase my OHP, but for now I feel a better sort of “wedging” feeling with hspus. I’m better able to feel the muscles I want to work actually working compared to an OHP.

To start I recommend facing a wall, putting your hands on the ground with arms straight, kicking up so that your heels are resting on the wall, and lowering until your head touches the ground and then pressing back up from there.

When I had my Level II press, I was able to do these the first time I tried them. I add “free-standing” when referring to that kind.

-S-

Just like anything - the more volume you do, the more hypertrophy is possible.

Here's a calisthenics guy I like, you can see his changes over a few years. He's young so that definitely helps.

Just like anything - the more volume you do, the more hypertrophy is possible.

Here's a calisthenics guy I like, you can see his changes over a few years. He's young so that definitely helps.

Just looking at a couple of his videos, he's definitely impressive! He also uses weighted variations of bodyweight, which I'm sure helps him build mass. HSPU are pretty cool.

Since the lower body serves as the foundation for speed and power in most physical endeavors, I would argue that neglecting its development (which doesn't necessarily mean hypertrophy) is not advisable.

Upper-body-wise, you don't really need anything besides bodyweight training, unless training for specific events.
I would say traps are not easy to train with just bodyweight, and IMO there is a serious lack of traps in many people who train - weights or bw, not a good look in my eyes.

I would say traps are not easy to train with just bodyweight, and IMO there is a serious lack of traps in many people who train - weights or bw, not a good look in my eyes.
Disagree. Rows, front lever work, many pulling variations.... and most of all...handstand pushups will build traps. If all you follow are people who do standard pushups and burpee-style workouts, I wouldn't expect you to see much trap action. If you follow any bodyweight athletes who do gymnastic or "street workout" stuff, they all have quite developed traps. Will they look like strongman or olympic weightlifter traps? Maybe not. They still look pretty developed to me though.

From this video:

1715868267607.png

Here is Daniel Vadnal from Fitness FAQs:
1715868554827.png

Disagree. Rows, front lever work, many pulling variations.... and most of all...handstand pushups will build traps. If all you follow are people who do standard pushups and burpee-style workouts, I wouldn't expect you to see much trap action. If you follow any bodyweight athletes who do gymnastic or "street workout" stuff, they all have quite developed traps. Will they look like strongman or olympic weightlifter traps? Maybe not. They still look pretty developed to me though.

From this video:

View attachment 24931

View attachment 24932

I’m sure this will come off as hating, but it’s really not meant to be. Your videos shared are examples of someone who has tremendously amazing body control, as well as exceptional leanness and good lighting.

However, if you took away some of that leanness and the lighting, I don’t think they would have particularly impressive physiques. Without the exceptional leanness and lighting, it’s a “mid” physique.

Don’t get me wrong - what they have achieved is fantastic. I’m not that lean, and I can’t manipulate my body through space with a fraction of that skill. And I imagine most people would be quite happy to have that physique and skill. Blah blah blah caveat caveat caveat.

I’m sure this will come off as hating, but it’s really not meant to be. Your videos shared are examples of someone who has tremendously amazing body control, as well as exceptional leanness and good lighting.

However, if you took away some of that leanness and the lighting, I don’t think they would have particularly impressive physiques. Without the exceptional leanness and lighting, it’s a “mid” physique.

Don’t get me wrong - what they have achieved is fantastic. I’m not that lean, and I can’t manipulate my body through space with a fraction of that skill. And I imagine most people would be quite happy to have that physique and skill. Blah blah blah caveat caveat caveat.
I get it, no worries. Even if they weren't so lean, I still wouldn't say they were missing trap development.

If there's one thing that I, personally, have taken away from this thread, it's that people's definitions of "developed" and "mass" seem to vary quite a lot.

people's definitions of "developed" and "mass" seem to vary quite a lot.
100% agreed here. And I don't think anyone here is saying that these bodyweight only bros that have posted about don't look good or aren't impressive.
yes, you can build muscle with bodyweight, but probably not as much, or as quickly, as with weights, or using a hybrid approach
100% agree with that too. I might've said something similar somewhere too. ;) I've seen very good things come from adding in things like pull-ups and dips to my training.

From this video:

View attachment 24931

View attachment 24932

Each to their own, no doubt the guy has a great back when viewed in that shot, but I was meaning more upper traps, particularly when viewed from the front, and I don't think he has great traps from the front. As I said before, I don't think it is bodyweight stars alone, a lot of people who train period have an ugly gap above the clarifies in my opinion, usually with a thin neck too. Some may find enough stimulus from rows etc, but in my experience you want well developed upper traps, you have to lift heavy weight. Just my view.

Back
Top Bottom