all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Picking a method for progressive overload

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

silveraw

Level 9 Valued Member

Came across a good article on how to pick a method for progressive overload. They look at a couple studies comparing 1RM gains between progressing volume and progressing load.

One of the big standouts to me was that there was no real short term difference between volume and load progression. So you have a lot of options on planning your next cycle depending on what your life is looking like during that next block.

The TL;DR for me was Pick a progression, stick with it for a while. Then start mixing it together a bit. But above all don't try to use every tool in the toolbox all at once.

In the base building for strength thread someone brought up a volume/intensity based program that has a pretty simple and ingenious method of progression that combines these two progressions pretty well. Instead of the simple double progression that we all know and love, it runs the lifts on two separate progression models. Your Monday squats progress volume and your Friday squats progress loads. So instead of working up to 5x5 and adding weight, you are working Monday starting at something like 12/3 and working up to 8/5 while Friday starts at 60%1RM AMRAP and works up to 90% AMRAP uncoupled from Mondays progression.

Anyways, good article, hope you find it as useful as I did.

Came across a good article on how to pick a method for progressive overload. They look at a couple studies comparing 1RM gains between progressing volume and progressing load.

One of the big standouts to me was that there was no real short term difference between volume and load progression. So you have a lot of options on planning your next cycle depending on what your life is looking like during that next block.

The TL;DR for me was Pick a progression, stick with it for a while. Then start mixing it together a bit. But above all don't try to use every tool in the toolbox all at once.

In the base building for strength thread someone brought up a volume/intensity based program that has a pretty simple and ingenious method of progression that combines these two progressions pretty well. Instead of the simple double progression that we all know and love, it runs the lifts on two separate progression models. Your Monday squats progress volume and your Friday squats progress loads. So instead of working up to 5x5 and adding weight, you are working Monday starting at something like 12/3 and working up to 8/5 while Friday starts at 60%1RM AMRAP and works up to 90% AMRAP uncoupled from Mondays progression.

Had a cursory glance through it, but I would be careful to say the article discusses "difference between volume and load progression".

I suppose we have to define what we talk about. When I talk about volume, it is mainly a number of sets. However, if I read it right, the number of sets stayed the same, while reps increased in sets.

So, I'd say that a volume progression with increased reps is a way different thing from a volume progression with increased sets, even if they may nominally mean the same or some people may take it as such.

For the subject, I think a mixed approach is best. I have fancy (not really that fancy) schemes where I slowly increase the training load for my trainees. Sometimes it calls for an extra rep, sometimes more load. And all of it is waved with a few different rep schemes simultaneously within an exercise. It's worked wonders so far. Now, if only I would follow it myself...

Subjects​

Thirty-nine women (n = 19) and men (n = 20) who had not performed resistance or aerobic training for at least six months participated in the study.

all subjects performed unilateral leg extension training and achieved progressive overload on one leg by increasing the load while they increased the reps throughout the study on the other leg.

For me, this is a flawed study. They compared the results of one leg using one strategy with the other leg on the same person using a different strategy. And leg extensions.

-S-

For me, this is a flawed study. They compared the results of one leg using one strategy with the other leg on the same person using a different strategy. And leg extensions.

-S-
It did come up with very similar results as the other study that didn't have that kind of design. (The second study mentioned in the article used two groups doing squats, one used load the other used volume).

So, I'd say that a volume progression with increased reps is a way different thing from a volume progression with increased sets, even if they may nominally mean the same or some people may take it as such
I’d agree with that. To me at least it makes sense to look at reps for the general volume. But know that 1 set of 5 is a lot different than 5 sets of 1 (when they are hard sets)

Makes perfect sense to me as adaptation is not about volume or load but stress. Volume and load are just two, suggested as equally applicable, ways to achieve that stress

that's a good way to keep everything else in check (same people/diet/lifestyle/genetic)
When I train pistols, there are marked differences between how my two sides work. I am right-handed and am much stronger on my right side pistol than my left. Training helps make them more similar but ...

-S-

When I train pistols, there are marked differences between how my two sides work. I am right-handed and am much stronger on my right side pistol than my left. Training helps make them more similar but ...

-S-
Good point.
But in the experiment they use low learning curve exercise (leg extension) so the impact of imbalance between two side is minimal I guess

Back
Top Bottom