all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Should I join a crossfit gym?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

steve-in-kville

Level 5 Valued Member
Had a coworker that was all about crossfit up until a few years ago, now I haven't heard anything about it. Apparently it is still a "thing" as my area still has a gym. I love doing workouts on my own, but I feel like I would benefit from a "gym community" if that is a thing. Monthly prices are not terrible, IMO.

What should I be looking at here? What questions should I be asking myself?

Thanks in advance.

Had a coworker that was all about crossfit up until a few years ago, now I haven't heard anything about it. Apparently it is still a "thing" as my area still has a gym. I love doing workouts on my own, but I feel like I would benefit from a "gym community" if that is a thing. Monthly prices are not terrible, IMO.

Thanks in advance.
CrossFit can be great. Community can be fun. Often times they'll also let you workout on your own, as long as you stay out of the way of classes / understand that classes have equipment priority. Some CrossFit coaches also do a really great job of designing intelligent programs that build strength and also have a "conditioning" part.

I would ask questions like
- do you allow people to train outside of a class
- how do you design programming
- what are the focuses of program (e.g. general health vs. CrossFit the Sport)
- how is a training session structured (e.g. general warm up, skills, strength, conditioning)
- is there an "on ramp" to teach basic movements/regressions
- are the workouts scalable based on skills (this should be a No Duh but it might start a convo)
- during a workout, do they focus on rah rah rah or on coaching
- how can they help you meet your goals (and then make sure you have goals)

Good luck!

Gym community is a big thing you do get out of CrossFit. Box to box is a very mixed bag on what you get, so it’s hard to say.

Go take their intro class and see if you like it. If they post their WODs read through a a month or two and see if you like the programming. The disclaimer being if you have never done CrossFit before it’s hard to read the programming as it’s very different.

I joined a CrossFit gym that I’m no longer in but used open gym time. It’s indeed a community. They even had an area for children. They had one on one coaching. Gymnastics coach, Powerlifting coach. Tons of weights, rings, bars, bags cardio machines.
Also had a food bar that you could order meals w/macronutrients.

Why should you join. 1. You don’t have to do CrossFit just use open gym. 2.You will be around people who love to train and don’t sit around using their cell phone. 3. You will be exposed to weightlifting/athleticism 4.You can receive coaching. *I’m not a gym creep here* but a lot of the women are strong and athletic looking. So it’s nice to be around.

Biggest negative issue I had was the music and wokeness and No I don’t apologize for that. Live and let live but put the flags and celebrations to rest. I don’t care what you do with your pp’s or tt’s just don’t force me to wave your flag 30 days out of the year when veterans get one day.

2 of my neighbors in their 40's get up at 5 AM for 5:30 class. One of them is completely built for it, 5'8' 160, and probably does sets of 20 pullups as a warmup. They love it.

Why not? Do it. If you like it, keep going! If not don't. I think most members of this forum are smart enough not to rep out TGUs for time.

My wife was in a crossfit class for a while and she enjoyed it but she got kind of beat up after a while and started collecting new aches and pains so she quit.

Just like they call the person who graduated dead last in his class in medical school, "Doctor", so every gym called "CrossFit" is not going to be the same. I have a high level of confidence in CrossFit gyms run by StrongFirst Certified Instructors if you can find one of those, and they do exist.

-S-

I've never done CrossFit, but my first thoughts would be:
1. What is the quality of the coaching.
2. Is it a progressive sensible program? Or is it just random WODs?
3. Do they have a long term relationship with clients?
4. What is the injury rate?
5. Do you want to do CrossFit or are you just looking for a community?
6. Do you like the people that workout there?

I’ve gotten strong doing CF. And…
I’ve gotten hurt doing CF.
It’s about an equal ratio of time spent hurt and strong.

It got me into lifting and kb focused training and helped me form the relationships that introduced me to StrongFirst methods and community, which is a big positive.

I currently have an open gym membership at a gym that used to be “CF” until there was some political fallout from the CF team. It’s still CF-style in approach.

I like working out there because the equipment and community and space is great for my needs. It’s my “other place” and I love it for that.

As for doing the classes, and that style of MetCon and competitiveness: no thanks. I’ll pass. It doesn’t seem to end well for me.

2012 I was fed up of running injuries and joined a brand new CrossFit gym. Of the three coaches one was kettlebell certified somehow, I think Steve Maxwell, one was qualified in olympic weightlifting coaching and one was a CrossFit competitor.

I learnt loads of useful stuff that I still use today and ran a 54 mile ultra in 2013 off very little running (but the base was ready there). Anyway eventually I grew tired of the beatdown every session and left, I loved the kettlebell stuff though and bought enter the kettlebell and went from there.

I’ve belonged to a CrossFit gym for several months and I love it.

I came into it with the mindset of CF was piling weight on top of poor form until broken. I was dead wrong, granted for my gym.

This particular gym’s coaches are sensational. They are all about proper mechanics and form before adding weight. They also will quickly scale a movement for anyone with mobility issues. Case in point: today’s strength movement was overhead barbell squats. For this 60 year old with bad shoulders: ain’t happ’nin. I simply squatted with my safety squat bar (SSB). Same with the metcon, I did the used my SSB for the OH squat portion.

I’d not use CF for a pointed strength goal, but for staying “walking around strong” it is fine for the vast majority of the general population.

My gym is a great, supportive community. Absolutely wonderful people and I’m delighted that I joined.

Crossfit was my gateway into the fitness world. I loved it. If there was still one near me I would go occasionally. My only complaint was some gyms lack any real progression. If I were to do CF again, I would add in Easy Strength or some other strength program and go to CF 2-3 times a week. Give it a shot man!

Back
Top Bottom