all posts post new thread

Barbell Getting Back Into Powerlifting

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ShawnM

Level 9 Valued Member
So I have decided to get back into powerlifting. I am going to be doing deadlift only meets as I have bad elbows and can't lock out properly. So I am thinking of going with the 40 day program as I have about 55 days before the meet I found just over the state line in North Carolina. I have run it before but only for short periods, never finishing all forty days.

Has any one else used this exclusivly for powerlifting? If so what results did you get? I am going to run this while dropping weight. My goal weight is 220lbs by mid-March as there is another meet in Norfolk, VA then. I am about 245lbs. right now. Thanks for any advice any of you can provide.

If you're DL only, PTTP or the Daily Dose Deadlift or another Easy Strength kind of approach is worth considering.

-S-

I just started daily dose Deadlift plan also for Deadlift only meets. I was planning to compete in november but i am way out to enter the right weight class.
I am curious to check your progress if you choose that routine

I just started daily dose Deadlift plan also for Deadlift only meets. I was planning to compete in november but i am way out to enter the right weight class. I am curious to check your progress if you choose that routine

I am doing the Daily Dose Deadlift right now. I'll give you the details:

I'm a 148, M61-65, raw - no belt, no wraps, no nuthin' :) I started lifting in my mid-40's, think my first meet was at age 48. Lifetime PR 364 lbs. @ 147 at age 50.
In December, 2014, at age 59 and 9 months, I pulled 360 lbs.

About 6 months ago, near my 61st birthday, I pulled 330 for my second attempt and decided to call it a day. Training hadn't been going all that great, life was hectic, I was tired, and I left leaving pounds on the platform, for sure, but I left knowing I wouldn't be exhausted the next day, either.

I'm taking today off.

Tomorrow will be Day #21 on the DDD and this is my first time using it. I've based my percentages on easy-to-load numbers, so 275 lbs. is my 75%, even though that works out to a max of 365 or so. On Day #7, I pulled 295 for 5 singles, and on Day #14 I pulled 315 for 5 singles. Tomorrow, I'm hoping to pull 330 (90%) for 5 singles, will do singles at 75%, 80%, and maybe 85% as warmups. Given that 330 is pretty heavy for me, I've decided to use the 2-1/2 lb. plates and not go for 335 - just call me wimpy. :)

My approach to the schedule has been, in general terms, pull Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri and take off the weekends, except on a day like today when I've decided to take another day off before my 90% pulls tomorrow. Often no warmup before the work set of 5, sometimes a straddle DL or two or a hack DL or two or something similar. Some of the 75% days when I have no warmups, I pull 6 singles because, on the heavier days, I need a bit of a ramp up and then I'm not used to the volume - that's why the warmups or the 6th or even 7th pull. My 75% singles are getting crazy easy, lately just standing at the bar and doing a new rep every 45 seconds or so.

I am also doing some swings in the AM before my PM barbell sessions, and before the DL's I am doing a kettlebell pressing program.

Hope that helps - the only progress to note will be if I miss a lift, which I am not planning to do. :) I will be competing at the WNPF World's in Bordentown, NJ on November 12 and am hoping for 360 or more then.

-S-

Great i want to be able to Deadlift at your age. Powerlifting needs more senior lifters, i am new to competing i am only 25.
But good luck with the meet do you also compete in the squat and bench? I am on day 7 of the routine and it is just great.. i cant wait to Deadlift the next day :)

I have been a 3 lift competitor but now only DL. My squat isn't great and my bench is worse.

-S-

I was a full meet guy 15-20 years ago but was involved in an accident on deployment and have elbow issues. I bench just to help with push-up numbers for my Navy PFA. I do front Squats with bells or goblet Squats.
@Steve Freides, what do you do as well as your daily deadlifts? I suppose I can treat it sort of like Easy Strength.

@ShawnM, see my list above. I usually do some swings AM, then PM a Kettlebell press program and the DDD.

-S-

@Steve Freides- What do you think of using the 4 or 5 day TSC program on the article section to get ready for a DL only meet? I ask out of my own curiosity. I am transferring off a ship and back to expeditionary warfare and will need a bit more conditioning.

@ShawnM, it would not be my first choice based on my personal experience training deadlifts and snatches - I find I like one or the other but not both in a single training cycle. Of course, if you're training for a TSC, you need both, but you'll find some other articles here suggesting that a diet of snatches will mean you don't need much deadlift work - that makes the training snatch-focused.

Have a look at this one:

http://www.strongfirst.com/how-we-train-for-the-tsc-at-tnt

(By the way, I edited your post to make it a live link to the blog, which it wasn't.)

I think you're going to have to take your best guess as to what's a good training program for you, based on your own training experiences, and see how it works out. Speaking for myself, it's taken me years to figure out what I need to do - and, equally if not more importantly, what I need _not_ to do - to get ready to deadlift my best at a meet.

NB: You can arrange to hire one of our excellent instructors, including some of the authors of the blogs we've been talking about, to work with you and design a program for you or help you pick an existing program. I've worked long-distance with coaches on my DL and it's been very helpful.

Again, speaking personally, I'm at a place in my life where I need maximum bang for minimum training time, and my priorities are my kettlebell press and my barbell deadlift, so those are the things I train and, other than a few swings, that's it for me. If I could, I'd try one of the snatch-based protocols and train for a TSC - I've come pretty close to my best deadlifts at some past TSC's and I know I'd be in great shape if I did that, but it's not in the cards for me right now, so I am keeping it simple - a press and a pull. Having been deadlifting for 15 years, and not having any aspirations to pull 1000 lbs., I'm content to know that I make my training a high priority, I don't miss a session without very good reason, and I go to a meet because I feel it's important, from time to time, to put it all on the line on the record and in public. If I have a lousy pull, I'm OK with that as a reflection of my life and my training leading up to that meet.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

@Steve Freides- Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated. I will more than likely go with a minimum program as suggested, probably Even Easier Strength or PTTP. I like the swings and carries in EES. If I do PTTP I will swap bench press for the press as overhead pressing kills my elbows. Maybe KB floor presses. I am going to try a few things out over the next few days and make a decision and start fresh Monday. My daughter is getting married this weekend so this week has been a wash. And thanks for the assistance with the link, I am not real computer savy, let alone at 0430. Lol.

I am doing the Daily Dose Deadlift right now. I'll give you the details:

I'm a 148, M61-65, raw - no belt, no wraps, no nuthin' :) I started lifting in my mid-40's, think my first meet was at age 48. Lifetime PR 364 lbs. @ 147 at age 50.
In December, 2014, at age 59 and 9 months, I pulled 360 lbs.

About 6 months ago, near my 61st birthday, I pulled 330 for my second attempt and decided to call it a day. Training hadn't been going all that great, life was hectic, I was tired, and I left leaving pounds on the platform, for sure, but I left knowing I wouldn't be exhausted the next day, either.

I'm taking today off.

Tomorrow will be Day #21 on the DDD and this is my first time using it. I've based my percentages on easy-to-load numbers, so 275 lbs. is my 75%, even though that works out to a max of 365 or so. On Day #7, I pulled 295 for 5 singles, and on Day #14 I pulled 315 for 5 singles. Tomorrow, I'm hoping to pull 330 (90%) for 5 singles, will do singles at 75%, 80%, and maybe 85% as warmups. Given that 330 is pretty heavy for me, I've decided to use the 2-1/2 lb. plates and not go for 335 - just call me wimpy. :)

My approach to the schedule has been, in general terms, pull Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri and take off the weekends, except on a day like today when I've decided to take another day off before my 90% pulls tomorrow. Often no warmup before the work set of 5, sometimes a straddle DL or two or a hack DL or two or something similar. Some of the 75% days when I have no warmups, I pull 6 singles because, on the heavier days, I need a bit of a ramp up and then I'm not used to the volume - that's why the warmups or the 6th or even 7th pull. My 75% singles are getting crazy easy, lately just standing at the bar and doing a new rep every 45 seconds or so.

I am also doing some swings in the AM before my PM barbell sessions, and before the DL's I am doing a kettlebell pressing program.

Hope that helps - the only progress to note will be if I miss a lift, which I am not planning to do. :) I will be competing at the WNPF World's in Bordentown, NJ on November 12 and am hoping for 360 or more then.

-S-

Thanks for posting this Steve!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom