all posts post new thread

Barbell thinking on the bar

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Harald Motz

Level 8 Valued Member
the bar is a tool for strength. as I came back to squatting with the bar on my back lately, it came to my mind more and more, that the bar is a tool for strength and mobility. currently i am refining my atg steinbornsquatting. this is strength, stretching and mobility. other great movements with the simple bar come to mind, as overhead squatting, behind the neck pressing, sotts pressing to name a few. it is not about the weight, but moving and using a given weight under tension with good form. the bar is not superior to the bell. they seem to be more the same than different.

The tools do not have value without use. And we have a certain set of principles and modalities that apply to all the tools. They all have their job and with proper use they are all perfect for their use.

Even if it is simple to say that a certain tool gives us strength and another one flexibility and so, I like to think that all the tools just teach us to move better; surpass resistance and do it all with grace.

You can create great amounts of tension because you can break the bar, bend the bar pull the bar apart.

A good example of this is the Klokov Press. A Behind the Neck Snatch Grip Press, but instead of thinking Press the bar, think pull the bar apart. The bar will be pressed from the action of pulling the bar apart, than the pressing muscles.

You can create great amounts of tension because you can break the bar, bend the bar pull the bar apart.
yes, Geoff. that's exactly what i felt just messing around with the naked olympic bar last sunday. some good mornings. stiff legged dl. romanian dl. behind the neck press. overhead squat, sots press. pulling the bar and creating tension with it, breaking and moving and stretching with it.

Unweighted barbell moves -- very underrated. My shoulders were a little balky the other week so I just did some moves with the bar -- behind the neck press, regular press, and so on. Was ready to go the next training session.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom