all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Insight into using StrongFirst principles for an MMA figher

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tony Gracia

Level 6 Valued Member
Senior Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Excellent Tony
Congrats to all

@Tony Garcia- Your welcome sir. As a BJJ practitioner I have found using very similar S&C methods that you use on your fighters to be very valuable in my own training.

Really great article @Tony Gracia ! Your explanations of your approach with the barbell and kettlebell are very insightful.

We are happy to say one of our students, Amanda "Lady Killer" Bell, just won her first Bellator MMA fight by TKO. I was asked to share some insight into how we structured her strength and conditioning leading into her Bellator debut. Here is the article:

Building Bashability From Bell-To-Bell. Portland’s “Lady Killer” Secures Her Spot In Bellator MMA. | Sean Katterle Hardcore Powerlifting
Do you think the barbell deadlifts and squats add much to the equation or do you do them simply because they are traditional?

I've toyed with 75% bodyweight deadlifts for the past 3 months after getting a shoulder injury interfering with kettlebelling, but I don't think the deadlifts have done anything positive at all for my judo (nor my BJJ). It's just too narrow a movement. The swings and getups however seem to turn on all the right strength systems for tossing around my opponents' bodies.

By the way it was nice to see the article credit Karate and Tai Chi partially for the win. As long as you have good takedown defence skills, Karate is amazing. Georges St. Pierre is pretty enthusiastic about it and he has been champion of UFC many a time.

Last edited:
@Kozushi, the primary purpose of barbell deadlifts is to improve absolute strength. The value is that you can move more weight than an other lift. Given your size and strength, 75% off your body weight is not enough weight to have an effect. When we talk about percentages for DLs, it's percentage of your 1 rep max, not your body weight. I know you've achieved Simple, OAPUs, pistols, etc., so I'd be surprised if you couldn't pull at least 1.5 BW probably closer to 2x with a little meaningful practice. Try working towards a 200kg deadlift and I imagine you'll see plenty of benefit.

@Kozushi, the primary purpose of barbell deadlifts is to improve absolute strength. The value is that you can move more weight than an other lift. Given your size and strength, 75% off your body weight is not enough weight to have an effect. When we talk about percentages for DLs, it's percentage of your 1 rep max, not your body weight. I know you've achieved Simple, OAPUs, pistols, etc., so I'd be surprised if you couldn't pull at least 1.5 BW probably closer to 2x with a little meaningful practice. Try working towards a 200kg deadlift and I imagine you'll see plenty of benefit.
Ah! the Power to the People book shows Pavel with only 90lbs on his barbell. I think I got the wrong idea! Hahaha! THANK YOU! :)

75% bw isn't enough for my grandmother. ;) Put some weight on that bar.

Bodyweight isn't enough, either. Maybe 1.5 x bodyweight. 75% 1RM, OTOH, is the perfect place to train for many purposes, including competitive deadlifting, IMHO.

-S-

@Tony Gracia , congratulations to both you and your fighter and thank you for the article!

Do you think the barbell deadlifts and squats add much to the equation or do you do them simply because they are traditional?

When it comes to training athletes at the very top, nothing is done because it is traditional or such nonsense. Every part of the training is designed to help the athlete achieve optimal performance. To assume otherwise, is to me, a bit, you know...

It's nice to hear that you've started to try out the deadlifts. Like Ryan and Steve said, 75% of bodyweight is peanuts. Given your bodyweight and experience with S&S I'd assume that you could hit 200kg fairly soon. That should give you real, tangible benefits both to your martial arts practice and to your everyday life.

@Tony Gracia , congratulations to both you and your fighter and thank you for the article!

When it comes to training athletes at the very top, nothing is done because it is traditional or such nonsense. Every part of the training is designed to help the athlete achieve optimal performance. To assume otherwise, is to me, a bit, you know...

It's nice to hear that you've started to try out the deadlifts. Like Ryan and Steve said, 75% of bodyweight is peanuts. Given your bodyweight and experience with S&S I'd assume that you could hit 200kg fairly soon. That should give you real, tangible benefits both to your martial arts practice and to your everyday life.
:) Yes, but the sad part maybe is that I have spent some time around real pro fighters and after learning things here on this site for a few years, I really have to question some of their training methods. I agree that the intention is always to be in tip top condition, but where they are getting their information from may be questionable. What I mean by 'traditional' is more like 'standard practice'. There are definitely some training methods in judo that I thought were dumb in the past because they were done only for tradition, but now I am seeing their utility...

This video shows one of the moves I could never see any sense in at all. It will never work on the street nor in MMA. In fact it will not work in judo either... unless you are playing against another judoka fighting like a skilled judoka:

The reason it works against another judoka is that the defence to a lot of throws is to keep your body squarely facing your adversary in order to stop him from getting an oblique angle of attack to you. It's exactly this defence of square facing that is defeated with this ridiculous looking but clever move. Since you can't get an oblique angle on him, you use an acceleration of force in one direction as he is trying to keep squarely facing you, and with this acceleration you can sweep him off his feet. It works like a charm in exactly this case!

For 30 years I trained this thinking it was the dumbest thing ever but eventually learned its real use.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom