all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed More on seasonal programming

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

I've done cycles before (i.e., strength in the winter, endurance in the spring, etc.) as discussed in this thread and found I was losing a lot of what I had gained in the previous cycles by the time I came back around to them. I have been trying to shift to more of GPP through the year with short cycles for specific tasks - not too unlike Brett Jones article. It's been going well to have a GPP base and then hitting a sport specific program in preparation for whatever it has been. However, some things I'm getting into are more of a season rather than an event.

My question lies around what type of programming makes sense for the "in-season" of a couple months? I feel like S&S has been perfect for my post-season and recovery the last 2 years but does limit my performance on sport specific tasks. The "pre-season" event prep programs I've done have done a good job in preparing me and peaking for events. I want to maintain a high level through a season without risking injury. Is it as simple as less volume and intensity of the same pre-season work?

Depends but currently mountain hunting, mountaineering, or tactical deployment.

@Bro Mo
If you want periodization programming for moving in the mountains read 'Training for the New Alpinism' (Steve House/Scott Johnston)
It will give you everything you need, and more. This is pretty much the gold standard of training for this type of activity. Written by the real deal...

'Training for the New Alpinism' (Steve House/Scott Johnston)
Thanks for this. On hold at the library :)

On second thought though, my question isn't necessarily specific to my current objectives either. To broaden the subject, what would it look like for a track athlete, cyclist, football player, etc. I remember a cycling book I read once when I was doing triathlons periodically was to have one of the events of the season be the peak and all the races leading up to it as training sessions. In that same scenario, would football players, for example, train to peak during the playoffs? Seems like you would want to be peaking each week to even get there in the first place.

I typically do only two big events per year, sometimes maybe three. I try to basically follow the protocols laid out in Training for the New Alpinism, and Extreme Alpinism (Twight) with a few tweaks here and there...
  • Base Period
  • Strength Period
  • Endurance Period
  • Specific Period (this is where you really dig into your sport specific stuff)
  • Taper
  • Event
  • Rest
I have been pretty successful using this for big climbing objectives, but I have used the same format for OCR, and it worked reasonably well in a gravel road bike race I did in the spring.

I'm sure you will find the book interesting. It does need to be taken in context. It is geared towards high end and leading edge Alpinism, but the 'theory' behind it I believe is sound, and scalable to other activities.

@Kettlebelephant ,
The way I understand it, is that the base period is what might be considered GPP in some circles. In trained athletes this part of the cycle can be short or nonexistent. In new trainees, or after a long absence this phase might be quite long. Even up to 20 weeks! Employing something like S&S would fit the bill nicely I think, along with some amount of easy 'aerobic'. Basically getting the body and mind prepared for what is to come.

Endurance on the other hand is exactly that. Long protracted efforts of LSD type stuff. In the case of alpine training, I am talking about multi-hour efforts. (2 to 6 hrs or more depending on modalities and goals). Mind you, strength can't be ignored during the endurance phase either, but less emphasis is placed upon it.

Employing something like S&S would fit the bill nicely I think
I find S&S alone is a little limiting on being a good base for many things simply due to the low movement variability but it is also not necessarily designed to be stand alone even though it can be and is often used that way. I think it is good as the base to the base, if that makes sense. GPP and base are a little less connected in my minds eye. I am starting to think a base program should be a little more sport specific. I do find S&S to be amazing as a recovery program though; I come back to S&S for recovery after every other specific plan I've done the last couple years. I think it is great how it can do a decent job at minimizing performance losses while offering such high recovery. It's been where I've been leaning for "in-season" maintenance but I would like to look into reducing sport specific losses a little more. Perhaps S&S 50% of training for in-season maintenance and 100% for recovery.

@Kettlebelephant ,
The way I understand it, is that the base period is what might be considered GPP in some circles. In trained athletes this part of the cycle can be short or nonexistent. In new trainees, or after a long absence this phase might be quite long. Even up to 20 weeks! Employing something like S&S would fit the bill nicely I think, along with some amount of easy 'aerobic'. Basically getting the body and mind prepared for what is to come.

Endurance on the other hand is exactly that. Long protracted efforts of LSD type stuff. In the case of alpine training, I am talking about multi-hour efforts. (2 to 6 hrs or more depending on modalities and goals). Mind you, strength can't be ignored during the endurance phase either, but less emphasis is placed upon it.
Ah, thanks.
I only thought about the word "Base" in the context of endurance training, that's why I asked.
"Base" being the same as GPP makes sense.

I find S&S alone is a little limiting on being a good base for many things simply due to the low movement variability but it is also not necessarily designed to be stand alone even though it can be and is often used that way. I think it is good as the base to the base, if that makes sense. GPP and base are a little less connected in my minds eye. I am starting to think a base program should be a little more sport specific. I do find S&S to be amazing as a recovery program though; I come back to S&S for recovery after every other specific plan I've done the last couple years. I think it is great how it can do a decent job at minimizing performance losses while offering such high recovery. It's been where I've been leaning for "in-season" maintenance but I would like to look into reducing sport specific losses a little more. Perhaps S&S 50% of training for in-season maintenance and 100% for recovery.
What I typically do in my 'base period' for training for a climbing trip is S&S, Fighter Pull-Ups, and running. But then again, I am fairly highly trained most of the time so it is almost like an extended recovery phase as opposed to a true base period

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom