all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 8 weeks of total tension?

Aziatik

Level 6 Valued Member
Anyone ever run the total tension complex for 8 weeks? I'm looking for a basic kb strength program to run alongside Mike Perry's Building the Engine

Goals are to reintroduce some intensity training, have good gpp and be in great shape heading into the summer.

Fabios simple strength and strong! Also jumped out, just prefer the structure more and like being under tension. Training 3 days a week. Strength then conditioning.

Anyone ever run the total tension complex for 8 weeks? I'm looking for a basic kb strength program to run alongside Mike Perry's Building the Engine

Goals are to reintroduce some intensity training, have good gpp and be in great shape heading into the summer.

Fabios simple strength and strong! Also jumped out, just prefer the structure more and like being under tension. Training 3 days a week. Strength then conditioning.
I'd send a message to @Owen Chau I think he can give you a lot of great insights

I only made it 4 before I got hurt and had to switch away.

It really aggravated a shoulder issue I have like nothing else.

Worked up till that point.

I only made it 4 before I got hurt and had to switch away.

It really aggravated a shoulder issue I have like nothing else.

Worked up till that point.
Ooook. That's a point in favor of simple strength... Don't want any part of injury having sustained one not a month and a half ago.

It's a lot of time with the bells in the rack - for me this lead to upper back fatigue being my biggest limiting factor rather than anything else (even with 2x16kg). It's not a bad thing, but can be annoying when you aren't hitting what you think you can hit rep count wise, and can aggravate your shoulders if you try to push through with imperfect technique, it did for me and sounds like @silveraw may have experienced the same.

2 years down the track I'd like to think that if I run it again I'd recognize what was going on, and chase quality over quantity and not have the same issues.

I recently did 12 weeks of total tension and really enjoyed it. I erred on the side of caution and started with 2x20kg (which was lighter than the recommended weight) but was ultimately glad because it was a bit of a grind in the last few weeks. I had a couple of minor lower back tweaks so can understand how others had some injury set backs. Ultimately I was pleased with the results - I was able to rep 32kg for reps for the first time and enjoyed the linkage/strength I ended up with across the midsection. The renegade rows exposed some weaknesses/leakage the complex resolved.

I’ll check out simple strength if it’s similar - good luck with it!

Yep! Did it for 6 and then at a different time 8 weeks. Worked great. Coached friends through similar cycles with great results.

I recently did 12 weeks of total tension and really enjoyed it. I erred on the side of caution and started with 2x20kg (which was lighter than the recommended weight) but was ultimately glad because it was a bit of a grind in the last few weeks. I had a couple of minor lower back tweaks so can understand how others had some injury set backs. Ultimately I was pleased with the results - I was able to rep 32kg for reps for the first time and enjoyed the linkage/strength I ended up with across the midsection. The renegade rows exposed some weaknesses/leakage the complex resolved.

I’ll check out simple strength if it’s similar - good luck with it!

Wow, that's fantastic progress and a solid result! Kudos bro. I will definitely run the TT complex when I'm in a phase of needing something minimal to cover a lot of bases. Right now I chose the simple strength because it seems like it will tax my nervous system and energy reserves a bit less that TT. That's important because after the strength work I'll be running an airbike conditioning program and want to really give that as much as my body is able. Simple strength part one and 2 are 3 day a week programs, same for the conditioning and 8 weeks so it fit well. Looking forward to testing everything next week. Thanks for the feedback and Happy Easter!

Back
Top Bottom