all posts post new thread

[BOOK OF THE MONTH] Deadlift Dynamite

StrongFirst

Deadlift Dynamite will take you from your first steps in the iron game to as far as you are willing to go—all the way to world class if you have what it takes.

Paperback, Kindle, or PDF edition >>> https://www.strongfirst.com/shop/books/deadlift-dynamite/

You will learn:

–1,000-pound deadlift technique, painstakingly deconstructed—just “copy and paste”
–Championship power squat and bench press skills, obsessively detailed
–Programming: highly effective and remarkably efficient
–Special strength stretches, so you can lift more and stay in the game longer
–A priceless arsenal of the highest-yield assistance exercises

Whether you are a newbie or a platform veteran ready to advance to the big leagues, Deadlift Dynamite is the answer.

"Throughout history a true test of strength has been the deadlift. Andy Bolton and Pavel Tsatsouline guide the reader to converge on their ideal personal approach for resilience and performance.They are true “Masters of the Craft” and Deadlift Dynamite is essential reading for those on a path to strength and training mastery.”

—Stuart McGill (Professor Emeritus), author of Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance

“Andy Bolton and Pavel Tsatsouline packed so much practical, yet forward-thinking information into [Deadlift Dynamite], it was hard to not rave about it!”

—Eric Cressey, co-author of Maximum Strength

We doing a book club?! I'll gladly pull it out and re-read. One of the best Pavel Barbell books!

This weekend we can discuss the chapters up to the nutrition one, next weekend we can do the cycling chapters, and so on.

Edit: I'm not joking lol.

Last edited:
I purchased the book and read it.

I haven't used a program that only hits each of the big three once a week before.
I'm intrigued, and would be willing to test this method.

What has been everyone's experience using this program?

I purchased the book and read it.

I haven't used a program that only hits each of the big three once a week before.

I haven't been following that program, but I have done a fair amount of each lift once a week lately, and it's been OK for me. I prefer to do light efforts on the other two lifts on the day the third lift is heavy, but sometimes my schedule doesn't allow it. I'd say BP is most important for greater frequency than SQ or DL.

-S-

I haven't been following that program, but I have done a fair amount of each lift once a week lately, and it's been OK for me. I prefer to do light efforts on the other two lifts on the day the third lift is heavy, but sometimes my schedule doesn't allow it. I'd say BP is most important for greater frequency than SQ or DL.

-S-
I agree with BP needing greater frequency. From May thru mid-July of last year I ran the split below (a mixture of Faleev 5x5 and Rule of 10 (for Deadlift)) on a twice/weekly basis:

Session 1:

Deadlift (5,3,2 or 2x5 or 3x3 or 5x2)
Bench 5x5

Session 2:

Squat 5x5
Bench 5x4 at 80% Session 1 Loading

From this I was able to hit a 235 lbs single on the bench, a personal best. I'm fairly certain that second set of volume work of 5x4 was a fairly helpful part of the split.

I did Marty Gallager's cycle which is similar (once a week). It worked great as a beginner. I'm less sold on it now as my bench progress starts to stall unless I do twice a week.

Back
Top Bottom