all posts post new thread

A tale of swings and goblet squats and helping my eldest daughter move house.

Guy

Level 4 Valued Member
And so I sit here on a Sunday evening after helping move my eldest daughter from one part of London to another ( a much nicer part).
A removal firm was of no use - it had to be her dad. One of life’s privileges. Of course , as these things go the lift ( elevator for my transatlantic friends) was out of order and her new apartment ( been a 19th century apartment) had no lift. Also if you have daughters you know that they have a large amount of clothes, belongings and so on.
Anyway it was a good 6 hours of moving. I am 60 next month ( just to put my next paragraph into context). Yet I was never truly out of breath or troubled in any way.
Quite simply I put this down to Kettlebell swings 3 x a week. 32kg x 10 reps x 10 sets with 2 sets of Goblet squats thrown in. Also 2 days a week of 8 x 60 m hill runs( I would say sprints but….).
Nothing too complicated. And there you are.
Have a good week everyone.

And so I sit here on a Sunday evening after helping move my eldest daughter from one part of London to another ( a much nicer part).
A removal firm was of no use - it had to be her dad. One of life’s privileges. Of course , as these things go the lift ( elevator for my transatlantic friends) was out of order and her new apartment ( been a 19th century apartment) had no lift. Also if you have daughters you know that they have a large amount of clothes, belongings and so on.
Anyway it was a good 6 hours of moving. I am 60 next month ( just to put my next paragraph into context). Yet I was never truly out of breath or troubled in any way.
Quite simply I put this down to Kettlebell swings 3 x a week. 32kg x 10 reps x 10 sets with 2 sets of Goblet squats thrown in. Also 2 days a week of 8 x 60 m hill runs( I would say sprints but….).
Nothing too complicated. And there you are.
Have a good week everyone.
And I'm always curious about hill running protocols and how to integrate them with S&S.

Hill runs. My approach is fairly simple :
1. Decent warm up.
2. Try to find grass hills.
3. 60-80m is fine. After that form deteriorates as lactate builds.
4. 70-80% effort.
5. Good recovery.
6. Twice a week maximum.
7. 6-10 reps.

Don’t overthink things. Find a hill,run up it, wait until recovered and then repeat.

Hill runs. My approach is fairly simple :
1. Decent warm up.
2. Try to find grass hills.
3. 60-80m is fine. After that form deteriorates as lactate builds.
4. 70-80% effort.
5. Good recovery.
6. Twice a week maximum.
7. 6-10 reps.

Don’t overthink things. Find a hill,run up it, wait until recovered and then repeat.
What is your rest time between reps?

I love stories like these. Thanks for sharing. I'm a ways off of 60, but I want to be like you when I grow up.

What is your rest time between reps?
A slow walk! Pretty slow actually- probably 90 seconds. Many years ago I was a good 400m runner and my coach would always talk about quality.
We would run sessions like 3x 300m but with 12 minutes rest between each one. High speed, high quality. Don’t drag your tail.
A workout should never be about how much punishment you can endure.

A slow walk! Pretty slow actually- probably 90 seconds. Many years ago I was a good 400m runner and my coach would always talk about quality.
We would run sessions like 3x 300m but with 12 minutes rest between each one. High speed, high quality. Don’t drag your tail.
A workout should never be about how much punishment you can endure.
Understood. Its one thing to pound on yourself when you're 30, but I don't have the mitochondrial or heart luxury when I'm 60 so I'm trying to determine MED Minimum Effective Dose.

Back
Top Bottom