all posts post new thread

Thoughts on creatine?

It's good, I like it and notice a strength difference while on it. It's on Peter Attia's short list of difference making supplements. Have been off and on with it since 2013. Stronger, more burst and carry more muscle (and a tad more water) while on it.

What brand do you use? I was looking at transparent labs, but I am open for recommendations

It’s probably the most effective supplement for performance that is hard to get from diet.

Mono hydrate is the most effective form and the cheapest so that’s cool.

Just make sure it is third party certified and you should be good.
Creapure is one of the best manufacturers, lots of good brands use them.

5g is the standard effective dose.

I’ve taken it before and who knows if it’s the effect of the creatine or the placebo of thinking I’m getting better from the supplement. I eat mostly beef and salmon, nuts and other natural foods and I seem to be fine. Before I invest in a bunch of supplements, I’d rather use the energy to find a motivated training partner to train with. Having someone to train with will pay way more dividends than the best supplements in the world.

Creatine 'extends' the creatine phosphate system so you could probably do one more rep until failure. And a slightly better recovery in between sets, so maybe a rep more in sets 2 and 3. This means you have an increased training volume and, if you can recover, have a better stimulus.

I recommend it as a plateaubreaker, first work hard and if you are not getting stronger, take creatine for a couple of weeks, and see where that gets you.

It does everything it’s claimed to do but for me the weight gain (2-3kg) is confronting. I get about an extra rep on my 10 rep max, so about 3% gain

I think I might be a non responder. I’ve given it a go a few times due to the plentiful quality information out there that confirm it works. But I’ve never experienced or seen any noticeable changes with creatine compared to without it.

I think I might be a non responder. I’ve given it a go a few times due to the plentiful quality information out there that confirm it works. But I’ve never experienced or seen any noticeable changes with creatine compared to without it.
Which type and brand did you use? I've found some brands to not be that good..

Optimum nutrition and allmax always worked for me

Which type and brand did you use? I've found some brands to not be that good..

Optimum nutrition and allmax always worked for me
Can’t remember it was awhile ago. Tried a different brand each time I gave it a go. Stuck with it till the tub was done. Brought them from the chemist. Each time I gave it another run I had the thought I must’ve brought an inferior product the time before. I was expecting some sort of result. Don’t know if my expectations were to high. But I distinctly remember no increase in strength no wait gain no noticeable difference at all.
Dug up my old training log from the time & actually found a note after a workout that read
“3 months on creatine, when’s this s*** spose to work?????”
I wasn’t expecting steroid results, but I was expecting something.
It’s not unusual for me though. I’m a non responder for quite a few things. I have a theory that my past history of drug n alcohol abuse has messed something up hormone wise or chemically.

Can’t remember it was awhile ago. Tried a different brand each time I gave it a go. Stuck with it till the tub was done. Brought them from the chemist. Each time I gave it another run I had the thought I must’ve brought an inferior product the time before. I was expecting some sort of result. Don’t know if my expectations were to high. But I distinctly remember no increase in strength no wait gain no noticeable difference at all.
Dug up my old training log from the time & actually found a note after a workout that read
“3 months on creatine, when’s this s*** spose to work?????”
I wasn’t expecting steroid results, but I was expecting something.
It’s not unusual for me though. I’m a non responder for quite a few things. I have a theory that my past history of drug n alcohol abuse has messed something up hormone wise or chemically.
@Kenny Croxdale has also reported being a non responder to creatine

I don’t like it, makes me too dehydrated /need to drink too much water. If I was just a gym rat - maybe. It is actively advised against due to risk of becoming a heat casualty.

I share not to dissuade you from taking, but to make sure you’re aware when you do, especially going into summer if you live somewhere warm or plan on doing something active outside during the summer.

IT'S STEROIDS!!!!!

jk, I take it, pretty much all the time. I'm still a little PO'ed that the price doubled during lock down and supplement companies apparently still haven't solved the *ahem* supply chain problem... If I occasionally don't take creatine it's because I'm a little irritated about the price.

I've never noticed any noticeable differences from creatine supplementations. Though I think we already discussed in another thread whether it was possible to get enough of it from the diet, and I suspect it can be so in my case.

I take the little scoop's amount. I have no clue if it does anything.
But then, I can say that for everything I ingest except for coffee and water.

If you are using monohydrate, and you do the loading phase for a week, I would be willing to say it it’s almost impossible to put on less than 5 pounds right away, with adequate water cosumption.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom