all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell and bodyweight strength program recommendations?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Geoman

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello, first time poster here. I am a 30 year old male, 5’10”, 173 lbs. My main focus now is to build strength. The equipment I have include pull up bar, dip station, weighted vest to 40 lbs, and adjustable kettlebell (20-50 lbs). I came across the The Anytime, Anywhere Bodyweight-Only Strength Program - StrongFirst but I can’t do 10+ reps for the pull up and pistol squat and can’t do a handstand push-up, so I need a preparatory phase to build strength.

Ideally, I’d like to combine bodyweight and kettlebell strength exercises. Using starting strength as an inspiration, I came up with the following template. Comments?

Workout A:

One leg squat 3 x 5 (use weighted vest as needed)

Weighted push-up 3 x 6-8

Weighted pull up 3 x 5

KB swing 2 x 10-20

Workout B:

Weighted goblet squat 3 x 8-10 (weighted vest plus kettlebell)

Weighted dips 3 x 6-8

Bodyweight pull ups 3 x 8-10

KB clean 5 x 3

Anything better that would suit my goals? My main goal now is strength. Conditioning will be covered by easy running a couple times per week. I’ll incorporate more conditioning once ive built up some strength.

You can do pike pushups in place of HSPU,

You can do the fighter pullup program

I would recommend you get hold of Pavel's enter the kettlebell, the rite of passage within that combines pull ups and presses for strength, with swings and snatches for conditioning. It's a solid plan for systematically building strength.

There's a rite of passage support thread somewhere around here that may be of interest.

Having said that, the general recommendation around here is to first lay the foundation with simple and sinister, or the program minimum .

I've heard of simple and sinister and it sounds like a good program to get the hang of swings and get ups, and I've heard it has good content as well. If I were to go through the simple and sinister routine 4-5x/week, would adding full body bodyweight training 3 times per week be too much? For example,

Simple and sinister routine 4-5x/week
3x/week full body "bodyweight" training consisting of a squat (alternating goblet squats and one leg squats), a pull (weight pull-ups, bodyweight pull-ups) and push (weighted push-ups and dips).

thanks,

@Geoman ... As far as strength goes I typically live on a diet of S&S 5 consecutive days/week combined with weighted fighter pull-ups those same 5 days. For me it works great. But don't neglect the S&S warm-up and its valuable goblet squats.
I dabble with N/W from time to time along with hanging leg raises.

Works well for me, but we are all different of course.

Oh, yes and welcome....

Hey Geoman, if I were you I'd get S&S and see how you get on with it as written before adding too much in. Maybe see how you go and add one thing at a time.

For what it's worth, what you originally posted also looks good to me, but if you're keen on incorporating kettlebell exercises then S&S is a great starting point!

As I mentioned earlier, another great resource is Enter the Kettlebell, which includes an older version of S&S, the program minimum. I made great progress on that along with fighter pull ups.

Lots of good options...

Simple and sinister sounds like a good place to start, I already have an adjustable kettlebell (20-50 lbs), but I'd still like to incorporate weighted one leg squats, weighted pull ups and weighted dips at least a couple times per week otherwise I feel I'll get weaker. I can do simple and sinister in the morning, then later in the day do my dips, pull ups or one leg squats and add rest days as needed. I also like to run (mostly easy pace) a few times per week, but that should be fine, isn't S&S designed to be used in conjunction with sport and/or military training? thanks.

@Geoman...It all depends on what your goals are.
I know you stated in the OP that you wanted to build strength. I guess we are all chasing that in one form or another. And that means different things to each of us. Are you wanting to build strength for some activity?
I run too, (and cycle) but I have no doubt that it limits any pure strength gains I might enjoy from S&S and fighter pull-ups; but since I train for some specific and varied activities it is a bit of a 'compromise' that I am more than willing to accept.

If S&S interests you, I'd suggest reading it through and then deciding how best to / whether to add other stuff in. In the meantime you could always crack on with what you outlined above and practice swings and get ups...

Hello,

S&S is great program and works pretty well as a stand alone.

If I were you, I would start with it and would test it for a while, as a stand alone. Then, if you want some variety, you can incorporate another program with a pull / push / pistol like this one : The Anytime, Anywhere Bodyweight-Only Strength Program In that case, I would do
day 1 : S&S, day 2 : other program, etc... and would manage enough recovery

Kind regards,

Pet'

Pavel's recommendation of PTP, ROP or S & S and NW in alternating two week blocks is a good place to start.

Last edited:
thanks for the responses. I got simple and sinister and will be running the program 2-3x/week, as following a program will force me to develop a consistent training schedule. I'll also be doing a barbell and bodyweight strength routine (deadlifts, presses, dips, pull ups, bench press, etc) 3x/week because I also have hypertrophy goals.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom