all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Hello from Rochester, NY

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

North Coast Miller

Level 9 Valued Member
Hello,
I've been posting a little after lurking off and on - this is a nice outlet for a lot of fitness info and great stuff for kettlebell.

Have been into fitness and resistance training starting at 9 yrs old, ever since my older brother unboxed his mail-order Bullworker and let me work in with the older boys. Despite being the smallest boy in my class I beat everyone arm-wrestling in 4th grade, except for Sister Ann (who barrelled me over in a wink), she wasn't going down like that!

I got into KBs about 9 years ago, just before my twins were born. Was coming off of terrible wrist issues (that I still deal with) and had pretty much written off any heavy resistance training aside from some sandbags I'd made. A buddy loaned me his 16 kg and Enter the Kettlebell and I've made it my primary exercise mode ever since. The cantilever action of the KB that drives the mass into the palm and back of the forearm instead of down into the wrist joint allowed me to do cast iron training again, for which I am eternally grateful.

I do not adhere to any specific tradition, doing some exercises hardstyle and others more GS, especially on the downswing. I like a lot of variety but that's personal preference rather than what works best, and mostly keeps me motivated and to dance around my multiple accumulated chronic injuries. I consider myself in good shape for my age and condition, though I don't think I could pass the Strongfirst Cert snatch requirement at 49, maybe when I turn 50 and can snatch with a somewhat lighter bell...

For an example, my workout today with a 24kg, heavy on the overhead lifting:
Swings 80
TGU 4/side, two sets
long cycle press 12/side, two sets
squat/snatch 10/side, two sets
bottoms up C&P and palm/fingertip C&P(16kg) 12/side, two sets each no rest.

Have been certified through Steve Maxwell to instruct but aside from training friends and family I don't have much time for that between working and taking care of my kids.

Anyway, thanks to all for offering a nice space to share and get hard-earned info.

Martin

I'm so jealous, I wanted a Bullworker when I was a kid but my Dad wouldn't let me get one.

I'm so jealous, I wanted a Bullworker when I was a kid but my Dad wouldn't let me get one.

A few years back I did a websearch out of curiosity.

I was amazed to see they still make them and have actually expanded the line. The original poster of the smiling man demo'ing all the exercises is still being issued IIRC. Was actually a good workout, a clever bit of gear and unlike most cheaper fitness tools, virtually indestructible.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom