all posts post new thread

Old Forum Art of Strength Enter the Kettlebell Workbook

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Brian P Gill

Level 4 Valued Member
In an effort to share an experience, rather than sound self-important, I'd like to describe my training over the past twelve weeks. Actually, it'd be misleading to describe it as "my" training. Since the advent of this forum, several members have stated their adopting the Enter the Kettlebell Workbook protocols. With that in mind, maybe this thread will initiate an opportunity to describe "our" training.

Having employed the Program Minimum and Rite of Passage protocols, several times over the past four years, 'Enter the Kettlebell' was like an old familiar friend. However, like some friends, there are those little aspects that can sometimes be annoying. In particular, trying to decide upon a percentage of effort or the duration of time you will spend with them. Using dice, for this task, can be annoying to some (Two minutes and Twelve Minutes of Swings are both irritating). Happily, the Workbook 'rolled the dice' for you and provides a fairly good explanation about percentage of effort with Swings.

Unhappily, at least while in the process, sets of 25-50 Swings can be daunting (especially with the abbreviated rest periods prescribed). During the final weeks of the program, I had to alternate between two handed and alternating hand versions to complete the exercise. Mark Reifkind and several others have discussed the differences in difficulty between the one-handed and two-handed Swing. Today, though I cannot end the debate of which is more challenging, I can say through experience that they're both hard in a different way.

One thing that needs no debate is the excellence of Wall Squats, Halos, and Pumps. Though I'm sure I'm the only practitioner who has gradually removed them from my regimen (whether individually or entirely), others will benefit significantly by revisiting these drills.

With regard to the program, the only other area I'd like to address is the Variety Days. Simply put, the difference between doing the 'Providence' or 'Newport' DVD (whether broken up or in their entirety) and what Mr. DiLuglio calls "take it easy" is an expanse that I haven't found a way to describe as creatively as I should. The Providence DVD is demanding, at least it is for me, and I'd be lying if I said I completed the Newport DVD. Sure, I could use the excuse that it is contrary to many of the methods and protocols I've adopted over the past few years (and it still is), but it was nice to eat a little humble pie. Whenever I get full of myself, I'll be sure to break them out again.

For the second Variety Day, wanting to continue PTTP progress from the previous twelve weeks and staying within that large chasm of the DiLuglio DVDs and "taking it easy," I did Deadlifts and TGUs, reaching PRs in both lifts. However, when the rungs of the ladders and the weight of the kettlebell  increased, the additional volume led me to take the second Variety Day off, during the final weeks of the program. Actually, it was the added volume coupled with a failing grip and a humbling day of deadlifting that led to the days off. Did I mention having to alternate two-handed and one-handed Swings?

It seems I may've already mentioned too much, contradicting my effort to not sound self-important. However, I'd like to conclude by sharing the results of the program. Starting with a 24-kg kettlebell, I completed the program with the 28-kg, lifting the 32-kg on the final Test Day to the point where it would be my new "ladder" bell. Sadly, however, I wasn't able to press the 40-kg on that day. Similarly, I wasn't able to complete the USSSST, but I did cut time off the RKC/SFG Snatch test, completing it in 4:30. My bodyweight increased slightly, to about 168 (today), but so did my bodyfat. At one point within the program, I adopted a nutritional protocol of Chad Waterbury (a hybrid of Precision Nutrition and the Warrior Diet). It helped remind me that I really did not miss eating lunch (Steve Freides understands).

That's more than enough about me. As I prepare to embark on twelve weeks of PTTP, I look forward to reading about the experience of others.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom