all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S and Repetitive Motion

Yea I’ve had that issue off and on for 10 years. Switching to an ergonomic mouse helped and most recently stretching my arms backwards as I lean back has helped. I don’t think this issue for me is related to bells. Most likely from modernity forcing me to set behind a computer.

I was just telling you guys the issues my chiropractor was putting together.
Based on this information, it does not sound like the repetitive motion of the swings and getups is the source of the issue, although it may be aggravating something. Did your chiro know that you have had this issue for a decade before suggesting it was a repetitive use injury?

Based on this information, it does not sound like the repetitive motion of the swings and getups is the source of the issue, although it may be aggravating something. Did your chiro know that you have had this issue for a decade before suggesting it was a repetitive use injury?
I know I’ve told her before. Anyway, I did 2 hand day today all 28 except second set 32 and it felt pretty much fine. I’m not 100% sure why this trapezius muscle is wanting to spasm. My girlfriend thinks it’s from stress at work. I need to find a good stretch that will allow it to relax.

I’m not 100% sure why this trapezius muscle is wanting to spasm. My girlfriend thinks it’s from stress at work. I need to find a good stretch that will allow it to relax.
That used to be my constant aggravation too. Swings/snatches combined with sitting at a desk and stress tension. Traps and rhomboids or whatever else is in those regions.

You may find a stretch that helps. I sometimes use a massage stick wedged in the back of a chair to roll over the traps. But this is treating symptoms and not resolving root causes. It could be just overtraining. Your training load is exceeding your recovery capacity. Maybe add another rest day or two. You might actually make better progress that way. Or get more intent with recovery itself -- 8 hours of quality sleep, great nutrition, maybe some of those other cool things like cold plunges (I don't do that myself).

Some other ideas: When you stretch, think about relaxing rather than stretching. Use long exhales. Sometimes just the breathing exercises can help. Crocodile breathing, focus on full relaxation of all the upper back and chest muscles. If your girlfriend is willing to massage your shoulders that can help a lot too. It seems to melt away tension. Some other good ideas in this video:

Fascia release can be helpful too.

That used to be my constant aggravation too. Swings/snatches combined with sitting at a desk and stress tension. Traps and rhomboids or whatever else is in those regions.

You may find a stretch that helps. I sometimes use a massage stick wedged in the back of a chair to roll over the traps. But this is treating symptoms and not resolving root causes. It could be just overtraining. Your training load is exceeding your recovery capacity. Maybe add another rest day or two. You might actually make better progress that way. Or get more intent with recovery itself -- 8 hours of quality sleep, great nutrition, maybe some of those other cool things like cold plunges (I don't do that myself).

Some other ideas: When you stretch, think about relaxing rather than stretching. Use long exhales. Sometimes just the breathing exercises can help. Crocodile breathing, focus on full relaxation of all the upper back and chest muscles. If your girlfriend is willing to massage your shoulders that can help a lot too. It seems to melt away tension. Some other good ideas in this video:

Fascia release can be helpful too.

Anna I’ve been getting 4-5 hours of sleep a lot recently I know I need 8.

I'm a fan of finding solutions, so there's something good there.
One detail I forgot to add - when I found my new guy I was already seeing a very sharp Osteo with SFMA1 and SFMA2 so she had put me through all the tests when I was at my worst in July 2023. I found my Gonstead guy in August 2023 and set up some pretty frequent appointments along with shockwave therapy on my battered lower legs.

I waited several months before returning to the Osteo/SFMA. She was seriously impressed with the results. Not only were the results empirical to a completely unbiased third party but they even agreed on the thoracic pathology - she on the T12 hypermobility junction but he that T11 was the offending point and that hypermobility of T12 was a logical consequence. So, the T12 is where the fascia was triggering.

I'm extremely grateful I found two outstanding complementary therapists at the same time and that 3 different types of therapies worked so well together.

I’ve gotten 8-9 hrs of sleep the last two nights in a row. I’m on day 26 of steploading the 32kg for 1 set. I think I’m going to go from doing double arm swings every 3rd day to every other day and not step up to 32kg for 2 sets (had initially planned to step up after day 28) until these traps calm down a bit. I’m also considering doing all 24kg on Fridays as that’s the largest bell my YMCA has. The thought is ease up and ownership.

I’ve gotten 8-9 hrs of sleep the last two nights in a row. I’m on day 26 of steploading the 32kg for 1 set. I think I’m going to go from doing double arm swings every 3rd day to every other day and not step up to 32kg for 2 sets (had initially planned to step up after day 28) until these traps calm down a bit. I’m also considering doing all 24kg on Fridays as that’s the largest bell my YMCA has. The thought is ease up and ownership.
Sounds sensible enough to me.
Sometimes gotta follow body more than calendar.
I regularly drop a bell when under recovered. For me, I think it works better than trudging along. I prolly get better rep quality as a result.

I hope it works for you! Good luck!

I have found this set of daily stretches are like a tonic for my body.

They are meant for people suffering from arthritis. I don't have arthritis - but I just feel my neck, wrists, ankles, shoulders and my entire body feel so much better after the session.

There are also Daytime and Evening videos --> I cycle through them throughout the week.

Back
Top Bottom