all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Grip & Core?!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Joshua

Level 4 Valued Member
Watched Pavels video on the fastest way to get stronger.

Grip and Core.

What is everyones opinion with this?

I'm a bouncer, so grip is paramount. Especially at 68kg. But I've don't this for years.

For me I'm big on Captains of Crush. Anyone elses advices?

GAG (grip, abs, glutes), 100%.

If you want to make it simple on yourself, do heavy snatches. Maybe some hanging leg raises.

Wrist rolls (hang a weight on a rope which runs through a piece of PVC... hold your arms parallel to the deck and roll the weight up and down a few times) are also good.

If you want to have fun with it, rock climbing or jiu jitsu or judo in the gi would also be great. :)

Ooooh I like the sound of that @Ryan Toshner
I usually only strength train twice a week and then do CoC on the other days as well as Fairbairns Combatives Instruction.

Will be keen to do that! Rep ranges you believe best for each movement you listed?

For snatches, sets of 5 or maybe 10 with a heavy weight. Doing the reps in a series is also good. i.e. (5 right + short rest) x3-5 + longer rest + repeat on the left.

Also, occasionally, sets of 10-40 reps with a moderate weight. Obviously, heavy and moderate are relative... but I'd suggest working at getting stronger so that "moderate" is the SFG snatch test bell (20 kg for you) and "heavy" is, well, heavier. If you can already do that, excellent!

For hanging leg raises, 5-10 reps... Do what you can do with absolutely no swinging/swaying. Once 10 reps is easy, pause for a little at the top or do slow, pulsing reps.

For wrist rolls, 7-10 lbs is a good place to start. 1 rep is up & down. 2-5 reps at a time is good. Work up to 10 reps at a pop. I also have a 15-pounder set up... That gets heavy fast. 1-3 reps with that is good. :)

@Ryan Toshner fanastic man. Thanks a tonne!

Would it be beneficial to cut back the reps and sets and do daily type training or will the two days a week be fine?

I did the oldschool S&S newsletter program for a long time which was 2 exercises a day one grind and one ballistic.
Grinds were: Crush curls, Maxercist Rows, SLDLs. 3-5x5reps.
Ballistics were: Figure 8s, Squat flip cleans, Russian hot potato twists, Tactical lunges. 3-5x10-20reps.

When I was working one of the most violent doors in the City, I did only two exercises.

Long distance single arm racked carries 50m-100m and Grippers.

Man I was only 70kg but I would throw around heavily juiced up guys like rag dolls.

Miss those days.

I would do one day of Light Grippers and Heavy Timed Rack Holds. Then the next day Heavy Grippers and Light Walking Racked Carries. Trained every day and worked 5 nights. Enjoyed it immensely.

My favorite grip strengthener for MA was a bundle of 4 pieces of 3/4" ID tubing about 5" long, ty-rapped at the ends and stuffed in a neoprene sock. Really gives the fingers and thumb something to search for/penetrate as you squeeze.

Also tie a heavy towel or rag to a heavy bag or hand over a pullup bar and work on grabbing as fast as possible and pulling in different directions.

For general strength the old stick and weight on a cord is tough to beat, but I don't feel it really helped for dynamic grabbing, grabbing power and static strength are not really the same.

@Joshua , it all depends on you... your schedule, recovery rate, interest, etc. Either should be just fine.

Grippers for a few sets of increasing difficulty. Some thick bar work with Axel, Thick DB, or RT. Third is a Pinch. One Hand or Two for a few sets and holds. Finish with something that crosses the elbow joint or targets the wrist.

Set Close- 3-5 x 1-5

60mm DB/Axel/Rolling Handle- 5-10 x 1-3

Two Hand Plate Pinch/Pinch Block- 3-5 x 1-5, 1-3 x hold

Wrist Wrench- 3 x 1 or Globe Grip/Thick Grip Chinup- 3-5 x 1-3

This or similar is very basic grip training.

Last edited:
Grippers for a few sets of increasing difficulty. Some thick bar work with Axel, Thick DB, or RT. Third is a Pinch. One Hand or Two for a few sets and holds. Finish with something that crosses the elbow joint or targets the wrist.

Set Close- 3-5 x 1-5

60mm DB/Axel/Rolling Handle- 5-10 x 1-3

Two Hand Plate Pinch/Pinch Block- 3-5 x 1-5, 3 x hold

Wrist Wrench- 3 x 1 or Globe Grip/Thick Grip Chinup- 3-5 x 1-3

This or similar is very basic grip training.

Daily do you think man?

Daily do you think man?

If you are new to grip training start with two days a week. Slowly increase volume and add a third day. If you are training low volume and moderate weight you could train grip daily over time.

The other option is to combine grip with your regular training. Squats and grippers is a good combo. So is Pressing and grippers but not as much. On a day you Deadlift you could warmup or do back off work with a thick bar or double overhand. You could use grip implements for your lighter or accessory work. Add a little grip training to the beginning or end of training.

It all works, but be careful to condition the grip. They are small muscle groups and can be easily strained or over trained. Some of it, like short bending and sledgehammer levering, is so satisfying it’s easy to overdo it

If you are new to grip training start with two days a week.

It all works, but be careful to condition the grip. They are small muscle groups and can be easily strained or over trained. Some of it, like short bending and sledgehammer levering, is so satisfying it’s easy to overdo it

+1.

-S-

Kettlebell swings or even heavy farmer's carries will strengthen grip. Really any kind of weight lifting will since you're holding things in your hands.

Judo is fantastic for grip and for bouncing. My head coach bounced for 22 years at a biker bar to pay his bills.

Great thread! I love the concept of focusing on ab and grip strength. I also agree that hardstyle snatches work the abs and grip extremely well! I’m thinking of adding in some ab wheel rollouts soon in my routine.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom