all posts post new thread

Barbell Brooks Kubik Exercise Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 7569

Hello everyone.

Stats:

Weight: 158

Waist 33"

Partial Deadlift 1rmax = 315lbs

Want to do Partial DL twice a week for 5x5 as my only training.

Was thinking M and Thurs with the following protocol: Four progressively heavier warm-up sets followed by one work set with my top weight.

This is a Brooks Kubik program, 1 exercise only, twice a week.

What 1RM% should my warm up sets be? What 1RM% should the work set be? How can i progress?

Ive got a few ideas and this is mostly an experiment.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most simple way to progress is to add weight.

Traditionally, 80% is your 8RM, 85% 5RM, and 90% 3rm. I wouldn't start too close to the 5RM. Maybe something like 245 for the first day could work.

How long do you plan to do this for?

The warm-up is individual. 20-30 lbs a set, less towards the end, sounds like a good increase to me.

Six weeks of just going up 5lbs a session could work. It depends on how proficient you are in the specific partial DL. If you're slow to make gains, it may become pretty hard towards the end. In general it's not advised to stick around 90% 1RM or such for too long, but I don't think it should happen in this case.

On other hand, the beginning of the program could turn out to be too easy, but then again, whether it's too easy or not depends on your life outside of training and what it needs and how used you are to the specific exercise. Always better to start too light than too heavy.

In any case, it could be worth a try. Six weeks like that, and afterwards, based on the experience, the results and your needs, try something else or modify the same plan for another run.

@Antti

- 5lbs a week works. I'll run it for
5 weeks and then drop to 2x5 twice a week for my sixth (deload) week.

Would also rather be too light than too heavy.

Why not just drop 10 percent for each warm up. So, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%, and finally 100% of your final set of 5 reps.

Example: If your final set is 300 lbs...
Set 1- 190 lbs
Set 2- 220 lbs
Set 3- 240 lbs
Set 4- 270 lbs
Set 5- 300 lbs

On second thought, I would even make the lighter, 15% for each set instead of 10%.

I'm a big fan of Kubriks ultra abbreviated workouts.

I'm basically doing Kubrik's abbreviated workouts as well. I don't overthink the warmups, and just set a target for the final set. Some days I do more warmups (esp when feeling a bit sluggish) and other days I jump pretty quickly. I just aim for a final set of 5 or 4 or 3 or 2 or 1 at somewhere between 75-95% 1RM depending on the reps and how I feel.

@Jak Nieuwenhuis, could you post a link to the program you're asking about? I'm having a hard time imaging a "program" that doesn't give some guidance as to what weights to use. That said, I will offer my opinion.

Based on my own experience, I find 75% 1RM the sweet spot in deadlifting. The DDD uses this, and I'm currently doing a program with a more varied set/rep scheme but that's the weight I'm using.

Most days, I don't warmup at all. If I was given the choice of ramping up to a final set of 5 @ 75% or simply doing less but doing everything at 75%, I would certainly choose the latter for myself, e.g., 3 sets of 5 instead of 5 progressively heavier sets. When I do warmup, I use a different DL stance and do just a few reps @ 50%, typically a triple, and that's it for me. I've also found a sweet spot for tempo for me is to average around 1 rep minute, so I do just that for singles, but even if I'm doing upwards of sets of 5, I still end up getting about xxx reps done in about the same number of minutes. E.g., yesterday I did a total of 16 reps and it took me 16 minutes. I think my rep scheme was 2, 1, 5, 2, 3, 3.

JMO.

-S-

Today i did..

Partial DL

135x5, 185x5, 215x5, 225x5, 245x5

@Steve Freides my apologies for the late reply, the protocol that you propose is very interesting. I think I might just do that instead honestly.

The routine is from the Kubiks book Dinosaur Training Secrets Vol. 1. His version of the 5x5 is from vol. 3 of the same series.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom