all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell return?

• Thread starter Deleted member 6651
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 6651

Hello,

After 3 years, I have sold my home gym. The environment in which I have the space for it (outside) is not good. Either get eaten by mosquitoes and end up itchy all day or the dew in winter coats the equipment so it rusts, not to mention spiders spinning their webs inside the holes of the squat rack.

Anyway - I was doing the 5x5 stronglift program.

Considering the room I have etc, I thought "why not give kettlebells a go".

I been reading Pavels S&S book how its good for elite lifters etc etc.

So I guess im wondering who 'in the real world' has used these bells as part of there training program, and I mean like - Arnold Swarzneggger, Eddie Hall, Sylvester Stallone Rocky type training. Heavy weight boxers etc, not just "elite lifters" nobody has ever seen/heard of.

Are KB's productive as being part of a training program (like 5x5) or are they counter productive (trying to be an athletic runner and body builder at the same time type scenario)?

@G-man
I can't tell you any names, but kettlebells are great tools for things like overhead press. And things like kettlebell snatches will improve your conditioning. No matter who you are..
Turkish get ups are great for stability and mobility. And swings can build power as well as jumps and similar things. In my opinion they are great tools for everybody, but specifity is still king. Runners need to run, Eddie Hall needs to lift heavy things and Rocky has to keep boxing.

I would go on to say that Arnold, Eddie, and Sylvester, are only the tiniest sliver of the 'real world'. The real world consists of the common person putting in the work in the gym, at home, on the job, in the mountains, and on the battlefield. And many of these people are uncommonly strong. And many get there by using KB's as one of the highly productive items in their toolbox.

Donnie Thompson, Andy Bolton, and certainly others - those are the two that come to mind. Both world-record-setting powerlifters.

Peter Park is trainer to world-class athletes and uses kettlebells with them - he was the interviewee (is that a word?) on a StrongFirst podcast a year or three ago.

-S-

Stallone used a kettlebell in Rocky Balboa as sparring was out..?
“what we'll be calling on is good ol' fashion blunt force trauma. Horsepower. Heavy-duty, cast-iron, piledriving punches that will have to hurt so much they'll rattle his ancestors. Every time you hit him with a shot, it's gotta feel like he tried kissing the express train. [cracks neck] Yeah! Let's start building some hurtin' bombs” Duke

As somone who really likes Stronglifts I prefer kettlebells. Unless you want to hypertrophy like an Arnold then kettlebells will deliver all that you need.

I don't think Ronnie Coleman would have made a switch to all KBs.... But Andy Bolton & all the world class professional athletes trained by SF instructors are big names. But Dan John, Geoff Neupert & Pavel himself and others are big names too. I think of all the more regular folks who are far from regular like Pavel Macek, Ben Eisenmenger, Fabio Zonin, Jeff Sokol, Zar Horton & a million others. And the impressive people on this forum! Much power hidden in that tool.

I'm no movie star nor Olympian, but S&S permits me to get a heck of a lot out of my judo and kendo training, including having the stamina, strength, endurance and toughness to handle 4 training nights per week of those intense martial arts. And now with national quarantine laws, I'm absolutely loving my S&S training as it's perfect for training at home!

The majority of Russian and former Soviet block athletes use them. As well as military troops. You won't build show muscles but you'll build go muscles for sure

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess another question is, is KB training in any way counter-productive? What i mean by this is... lets say I do train KB for the next 2-3 years (only kB) - My body would have developed/adapted to this style of training, developing muscles responsible for power etc that this training promotes... and then in 2-3 years from now I feel like "you know what, I wanna build muscle like Arnold" - Would have the KB training interfered with this... meaning... the muscles are now in some way programmed to do other stuff (not hypertrophy) and now I am trying to tell them to do new stuff... kind of like... would have the KB been me developing 'bad habits' that now I need to 'unlearn' to achieve the new goal in which case I would of been better not learning these bad habits to start with... - counter productive in this way? Or no drama transitioning to anything later (power lifting, strongman, body building - whatever I find myself wanting then) from KB's?

I've got a real world job and use kettlebells. They work great!

But as far as athletes, George St Pierre is one that comes to mind. Really you can just sort of go down the list of the top UFC fighters and damn near all of them incorporate kettlebells in one way or another.

Frank Shamrock comes to mind too. I know I know. I'm really dating myself now

Kettlebells can do anything. Pick a pair of 92 kg bells and do 5x5 deadlift variations - powerlifting. Pick a pairs of 16s, 24s and 32s, you can do almost any standard bodybuilding routine with it. Why discuss type of weights when you need to set up a training regiment? Kettlebell is a tool, just that.

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess another question is, is KB training in any way counter-productive? What i mean by this is... lets say I do train KB for the next 2-3 years (only kB) - My body would have developed/adapted to this style of training, developing muscles responsible for power etc that this training promotes... and then in 2-3 years from now I feel like "you know what, I wanna build muscle like Arnold" - Would have the KB training interfered with this... meaning... the muscles are now in some way programmed to do other stuff (not hypertrophy) and now I am trying to tell them to do new stuff... kind of like... would have the KB been me developing 'bad habits' that now I need to 'unlearn' to achieve the new goal in which case I would of been better not learning these bad habits to start with... - counter productive in this way? Or no drama transitioning to anything later (power lifting, strongman, body building - whatever I find myself wanting then) from KB's?

Interesting question. I don't think so. New stimulus = new response.

Thanks. So doing KB's first (S&S) and transitioning to other things later will not be a problem/drawback.

Well - If KB's are 'just a tool'- can the S&S work with dumbells? - Or is there some function the KB's have that dumbells just won't provide?

Thanks. So doing KB's first (S&S) and transitioning to other things later will not be a problem/drawback.

Well - If KB's are 'just a tool'- can the S&S work with dumbells? - Or is there some function the KB's have that dumbells just won't provide?

You'd be hard pressed to do efficient ballistics(swings) with a dumbell. You could do getups I suppose

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom