all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed The Gym-less Gym?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

steve-in-kville

Level 5 Valued Member
I've been slowly putting together some equipment for almost a year now... wife shot down getting any home equipment like a treadmill or rowing machine, regardless of how much space it may or may not take up.

I started with a weighted ruck (most likely my favorite). I have one small kettlebell which I could add to. I just added the tire/sledge (outside, obviously) and have a 40# sandbag. I do a lot of walking and have plenty of running gear (would like to do at least one 5/10k event this year... been a while!). I just bought a portable pull-up bar that I can hang in a doorway.

Goal is to be able to do a workout inside or out. Not against hauling a ruck up and down the stairs if its raining, or doing upper-body moves with the sandbag inside. I've been reading about elastic bands but don't know much about them.

So far my wife hasn't complained as gear can be stored in a spare closet and my workouts have kept me in a better mood and my bipolar under control. Is there anything else I could add (beside more KB's) to my gym-less gym?

Thanks in advance.

I don’t know what your indoor space or construction constraints are but something like Stall Bars would be a cool addition.
An ‘evil wheel’ is a low-cost small and high value item. Rings are better than a bar, but often times problematic to mount.
There are a wide variety of grip implements that can be useful and don’t take up too much space if you are into focusing on that sort of thing.

And don’t worry... you wont melt if you ruck in the rain... :cool:

There are a wide variety of grip implements that can be useful and don’t take up too much space if you are into focusing on that sort of thing.
Wasn't there a pair of British friends that climbed off-width cracks that built a climbing gym in their basement? had like a 6' ceiling but they got pretty creative.... may have been in one of the older Reel Rock DVD's. Pretty wild...

I don’t know what your indoor space or construction constraints are but something like Stall Bars would be a cool addition.
An ‘evil wheel’ is a low-cost small and high value item. Rings are better than a bar, but often times problematic to mount.

And don’t worry... you wont melt if you ruck in the rain... :cool:
I second grip stuff - working your hands really translates to "real world" strength. A 24kg or 32kg and a few grip bits will take you far. Infact it's nearly all I've had for a year now and I'm still going strong.

Wasn't there a pair of British friends that climbed off-width cracks that built a climbing gym in their basement? had like a 6' ceiling but they got pretty creative.... may have been in one of the older Reel Rock DVD's. Pretty wild...
World class climbers. Tom Randall, Pete Whitaker. The "Wide Boyz" - plenty to be found out about them since then - check YouTube or IG. They send HARD and have some silly fun in the process. And it's more like a 3.5' cellar under Tom's house - gritty stuff.

Yep! My son has talked to Tom on occasion...

Tom has a home training series on YouTube as well. I may have posted one or two of those on the Mountain Strong thread...

You could add a fingerboard to your home set up if you really want to get into the grip business. There is one strong dude who logs here on SF ( who isn’t a climber) that uses one to augment his grip strength.

Another crazy Brit who has been known to do some hard training is Stevie Haston.

Heh... that's interesting. I never really followed main-stream American sports. I followed endurance cycling, running (marathons & ultras) as well as rock climbing, even though I'll never do it. Did take a bouldering class some years ago, though.

The Wide Boyz... that's them. Now I have to see if I still have that DVD... some off the hook stuff!

Hello,

Maces / clubs could be interesting as well. Battlerops and a rope to climb can be great

Kind regards,

Pet'

Foam roller, mini dips bar and belt for dips/chin up (for deloading after wifefy dips/chin).

Good quality mat is also good.

I have seen some people doing deadlift inside the house (the famous German on A+A thread who snatch heavy, I forget his name sorry). If your floor can handle that then a bar and a few plates are also good

I've been slowly putting together some equipment for almost a year now... wife shot down getting any home equipment like a treadmill or rowing machine, regardless of how much space it may or may not take up.

I started with a weighted ruck (most likely my favorite). I have one small kettlebell which I could add to. I just added the tire/sledge (outside, obviously) and have a 40# sandbag. I do a lot of walking and have plenty of running gear (would like to do at least one 5/10k event this year... been a while!). I just bought a portable pull-up bar that I can hang in a doorway.

Goal is to be able to do a workout inside or out. Not against hauling a ruck up and down the stairs if its raining, or doing upper-body moves with the sandbag inside. I've been reading about elastic bands but don't know much about them.

So far my wife hasn't complained as gear can be stored in a spare closet and my workouts have kept me in a better mood and my bipolar under control. Is there anything else I could add (beside more KB's) to my gym-less gym?

Thanks in advance.

More sandbags and a pushup board, crate optional. Easy storage and very portable.

YvkXQrSl.jpg

Gymnastic rings for your chin up bar and a heavier Kettlebell. Or weight vest, makes everything harder, even resting between sets

You don't say what kind of workout/training you're interested in but I think you can get a lot done with a barbell and some floor space, or some kettlebells.

This is an interesting thread. The pandemic ( of course depending on your location and severity of restrictions) taught us a lot about home workouts. A lot of people just didn’t exercise ( study by APA shows 40% of Americans gained an average of 29 pounds!) So the country , as a whole ,is defiantly not healthier physically or mentally . I know home equipment was super hard to get as well as having space to utilize it.But I also know people who have 10,000 dollar plus garage gyms that sit collecting dust and some people with not much or anything expect their body getting after it. I think a lot of people ( myself included in the past) are relying more on equipment than the will to get the work in. Check out “ Iron Wolf’s” YouTube channel. No fluff, very little equipment . Best of luck too you

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom