all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Snatch or Swing in Q & D

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Lucy Smith

Level 3 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hi there, I have a question about the Quick and the Dead. After reading the book, I understand the training but there is one thing that isn't completely clear to me and I am hoping somebody can explain it.

Is it correct that a Q & D session is either: 'Swings and push ups' OR 'Snatches'. In which case the Q & D is actually a choice between two different sessions.

While there is a suggestion on Page 92 to use a dice to choose either the swing/push up or the snatch if you want this sort of variability I can't seem to find direction on which movement to use if you are not going to choose dice for variability, and if you are going to choose on your own, much as you would choose Mon, Wed, Fri for training sessions.

Are you supposed to perform a few weeks of swing and push ups, followed by a few weeks of snatch, then back to swings? Mix them up each week? I am looking forward to doing push ups in training, AND I like snatches.

I have searched the threads on the forum in case this question was asked before but I can't seem to find anything. Thanks!

The Q&D has several protocols. The main Protocol is where the workouts are Swings and Power Push Ups. The next choice is a protocol where the workouts are just Snatches.

As for the die rolls for variability; No matter which protocol, you roll once for Daily Volume (Reps) and once for Rep Scheme. If using the Swing + Push ups protocol you can also make rolls for Swing Type and Push Up type if you want that variability as well.

There are a few other protocols mentioned but these are the main two to begin using.

Hi there, I have a question about the Quick and the Dead. After reading the book, I understand the training but there is one thing that isn't completely clear to me and I am hoping somebody can explain it.

Is it correct that a Q & D session is either: 'Swings and push ups' OR 'Snatches'. In which case the Q & D is actually a choice between two different sessions.

While there is a suggestion on Page 92 to use a dice to choose either the swing/push up or the snatch if you want this sort of variability I can't seem to find direction on which movement to use if you are not going to choose dice for variability, and if you are going to choose on your own, much as you would choose Mon, Wed, Fri for training sessions.

Are you supposed to perform a few weeks of swing and push ups, followed by a few weeks of snatch, then back to swings? Mix them up each week? I am looking forward to doing push ups in training, AND I like snatches.

I have searched the threads on the forum in case this question was asked before but I can't seem to find anything. Thanks!
chop-wood-carry-water-sample-week-table-small-new.jpg
Check out this template. Q&D sessions are swings and push ups or snatches but you can do both swings and snatches in the same week. If you have the extra equipment for the extra work, great! If not body weight moves are fine as well. Point being, you can do one, the other or both in the same training week. I hope this helps.

Run it with snatches and push ups. Works just fine.

View attachment 13771
Check out this template. Q&D sessions are swings and push ups or snatches but you can do both swings and snatches in the same week. If you have the extra equipment for the extra work, great! If not body weight moves are fine as well. Point being, you can do one, the other or both in the same training week. I hope this helps.
Thank you! This helps a lot.

The dice rolls are really fun though. I would look forward to rolling my plans for the week every sunday. Works out to be pretty even and you can call audibles as needed

Anytime. I have a few more but that one simple template works fine for me. I do a lot of walking on non kb days as well as GTG pull ups at get ups.
Sounds good to me. I like simplicity and having the strength and energy for other pursuits too.

The dice rolls are really fun though. I would look forward to rolling my plans for the week every sunday. Works out to be pretty even and you can call audibles as needed
Cool! I’m looking forward to a fresh program at this point. Thanks for that.

I love the simplicity swings & pushup.
I did about 8 weeks of A+A mixing heavy 1 arm swings and viking push press, and really enjoyed that too.
What is the difference between a Viking Push Press and a Single Push Press please?
(FYI my reference point is video material from Kettlebells StrongFirst BJJ course)

@Pete L as posted above, much more "ballistic". Being a guy that was never a huge fan of jerks, I love it as an alternative to the classis OH Press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom