all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Progression

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted 20758

Hi all

The thing i have been missing the most of my training is some kind of progression.
For many many years i just push the pedal every time.
Now fast forward and 10+ years older i train at home and dont want to fall into this again but i know nothing about good ways to progress.
The super simple is juts to stay some reps from failure and increase weight. When not possible anymore, back off.
But how much should i back off. How long should a cykle be and so on?
Is there some kind of easy way to do this?

Right now i try to follow Tacticall Barbell Template
3x5x70%, 3x5x80%, 3x3x90%, 3x5x75%, 3x5x85% and 3x2x95%.

Im just into first cykle but when looking at it it looks like a short time with "easy" weight.

Any recommendations?

I remember to have seen some kind of progression with set before reps. So maybe starting at 3x5, then 4x5 and 5x5 before increasing weight.

I train BW training but with adding weights :)

I don't like using 1-5 rep ranges with weighted bodyweight due to the reduced force production and energy spent on stabilization when it's that heavy. With a barbell, this is mitigated because the bar itself is fixed and stable.

If I'm going that heavy, I stick to barbells.

I like weighted bodyweight much better in the 6-12 zone.

Instead of trying to follow a barbell template with bodyweight, have you tried training at higher rep ranges?

For BW, I like wave ladders using a multiple depending on the movement or rep range. Using pushups as an example:
Ladder 1: 5-10-15​
Ladder 2: 10-15-20​
Ladder 3: 15-20-25​
...​
After a while, start the whole thing from the next higher rung. It might take a few times to figure out what the multiple increase should be given the specific movement and the best starting weight. T-Nation has an article about the method by adjusting the weight instead of the volume.
Article

Im only after strength.
When my chins are strong enough my program would be:
Dips
Chins
Some kind of leg exercise.

3-5x5 and some kind of progression.

Im only after strength.
When my chins are strong enough my program would be:
Dips
Chins
Some kind of leg exercise.

3-5x5 and some kind of progression.

Then just use standard volume first, weight second:

3sets@5RM
4sets@5RM
5sets@5RM

Once you can do 5sets of 5RM, add weight.

After 5-6 weeks, take a deload week.

Then just use standard volume first, weight second:

3sets@5RM
4sets@5RM
5sets@5RM

Once you can do 5sets of 5RM, add weight.

After 5-6 weeks, take a deload week.
Thanks.

Looks like a simple Way. Just like i like it.
I just cant find what leg exercise to suit my goals.

Right now i try to follow Tacticall Barbell Template
3x5x70%, 3x5x80%, 3x3x90%, 3x5x75%, 3x5x85% and 3x2x95%.

Im just into first cykle but when looking at it it looks like a short time with "easy" weight.

Any recommendations?
My recommendation is..... follow tactical barbell. It has a progression method. Any reason you're not using it?

The whole point of that program is strength progression.....

My recommendation is..... follow tactical barbell. It has a progression method. Any reason you're not using it?

The whole point of that program is strength progression.....
Im trying. But as i write i didnt thimk its many ‘easy’ sessions before its heavy again.
But its my first cykle so maybe its just on the paper it seems to hard and then because i use calistenic and not barbell.

Im trying. But as i write i didnt thimk its many ‘easy’ sessions before its heavy again.
But its my first cykle so maybe its just on the paper it seems to hard and then because i use calistenic and not barbell.
Is it possible your max is wrong? Regardless, doesn't take matter. If it's easy so be it. Follow the program. Add weight next cycle as planned.

Slow and steady wins the race. Get stronger with less soreness and less injury. Remember the phrase: s/he who lifts longest lifts strongest.

Is it possible your max is wrong? Regardless, doesn't take matter. If it's easy so be it. Follow the program. Add weight next cycle as planned.

Slow and steady wins the race. Get stronger with less soreness and less injury. Remember the phrase: s/he who lifts longest lifts strongest.
No my concern is that when i hit my 3rep sets next week, i dont Think that theres many easy days before lifting heavy again.

Oh right now I understand you. I thought you were saying it's the other way. If that's the case, drop the weight for a cycle and build up.

It may be because you're using callisthenics (albeit weighted). It's hard to measure exactly how much weight you're lifting. For example if you add 10kg to a weighted pushup and you weigh 80kg.... it's inaccurate to say you're pressing '90'. Your feet take some amount of the load, like a lever.

It might be best to follow the callisthenics progression. Do the % of reps for the %s listed. If you increase the weight after a cycle, retest your RM with that weight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom