all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed New to HIIT; Need advice on hiking and visceral fat.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

mdavis121212

First Post
I'm new to HIIT. I've started doing Sprints and more intense weight workouts and I feel I'm seeing benefits even after only a few workouts.
I got to HIIT watching Sean O'Mara and visceral fat videos. I'm sure I have visceral fat but I also do a lot of hiking and climbing up mountains as a hobby. Climbing up 3000 feet requires me to get my heart to about 85% of max for a couple hours.
I'm thinking this endurance hiking is really bad for visceral fat so I'm wondering if I should stop hiking and concentrate on HIIT until I get rid of visceral fat.
Does hiking make visceral fat worse?
I generally hike twice a week.

I'm new to HIIT. I've started doing Sprints and more intense weight workouts and I feel I'm seeing benefits even after only a few workouts.
I got to HIIT watching Sean O'Mara and visceral fat videos. I'm sure I have visceral fat but I also do a lot of hiking and climbing up mountains as a hobby. Climbing up 3000 feet requires me to get my heart to about 85% of max for a couple hours.
I'm thinking this endurance hiking is really bad for visceral fat so I'm wondering if I should stop hiking and concentrate on HIIT until I get rid of visceral fat.
Hiking doesn't make visceral fat worse.
Processed foods, alcohol, stress, insomnia, high fasting insulin, etc. does.

Hiking does not make visceral fat worse. Eating too much does.

Thanks this is good information! I'm currently doing Keto/Carnivore which has really helped. I was concerned when Dr Sean said that running can make visceral fat worse. But I've deduced that outdoor activities like hiking and mountain biking are very beneficial. But I've inserted HIIT into my activities a couple times a week.
I'm 70 now but feel great. Just wanted to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.
Thanks again!

I wasn’t sure who that was. So looked at his website.

I’m not going to lie though. If someone came up to me in a bar and told me they were an undercover police officer and
a state prosecutor and
A military vet and
a ED doc, and
a medical researcher…

I’d be a skeptical Sally about anything they told me.
I mean that’s how Harry lost his wife in True Lies.

Pushing yourself too hard while living on carbs can have that effect, sure.
Interesting, I was under the impression that it was age, sex, alcohol consumption, and cortisol levels that contributed to visceral fat rather than macronutrient makeup that determined where excess energy is stored.

Interesting, I was under the impression that it was age, sex, alcohol consumption, and cortisol levels that contributed to visceral fat rather than macronutrient makeup that determined where excess energy is stored.
OK, then.

-S-

I was speaking from personal experience. When I was a distance runner, I chronically overtrained, lived on carbs, and had a belly which I believe to be visceral fat. To this day, even though I'm much thinner, the belly remains.

I claim no science and no accuracy in my description, just relating what my perception of my experience was and is. Your mileage may vary. A google just now on "is belly fat visceral fat?" was, IMO, inconclusive.

Other people knowing more than me is also a very common, and welcome, occurrence in my life, too. I am under the impression that my belly is visceral fat and not merely subcutaneous fat.

I know what age and gender I am, I have a little sip of alcohol every once in a while - seriously, that's it - and I couldn't tell you what my cortisol levels are but I don't think they're high.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom