all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Squat vs Swing Volume

Hi SF,

I’m fairly new to KB training but the 10 minute EMOM style of S&S really appeals to me. My training program currently looks as follows:

Monday and Thursday: C+P 10 min AMRAP followed by Goblet Squat 10 reps on the minute for 10 minutes (same structure as S&S swings) then push ups/dips

Wednesday: Get ups and mobility

Tuesday and Friday: Snatch 10min AMRAP followed by two hand S&S routine swings. Then pull ups/rows

My question: Can squats be done at the same volume as swings? I find the 100 goblet squats to be way more taxing than 100 swings. How should squat volume look compared to swing volume? Thanks in advance!

My question: Can squats be done at the same volume as swings? I find the 100 goblet squats to be way more taxing than 100 swings. How should squat volume look compared to swing volume? Thanks in advance!
Generally speaking, I'd say half or less on squats vs. swings.

So 10 sets/rounds of 5 goblet squats OTM for 10 minutes is probably about right. (I'd start a beginner on 3 sets of 5, then 5 sets of 5, and eventually if using squats as part of a program or routine as you are, up to 10 sets of 5).

In my first kettlebell class 10 years ago, we used to do a circuit of 10 swings, farmer's carry 2 kettlebells about 50 ft, do 5 goblet squats with one of them, and carry them back. It was a great combo.

I've rarely done squats in sets of more than 5, loaded. Occasionally sets of 10 or more can provide a specific stimulus, but squats are more of a strength move, and sets of 5 are perfect with a goblet squat which is not a very heavy load.

Can squats be done at the same volume as swings?
Can they? Yes.
Should they? I suppose it depends… but I’d almost always say no. Swings are largely done for conditioning, not strength training.

If you want to squat for conditioning then having higher volumes makes more sense - especially with a lighter variant like bodyweight squats.

But in general squats are used for hypertrophy or strength development, and that necessitates lower reps usually.

I have found a range of per-session reps to be useful.

KETTLEBELL OLAD SESSION VOLUME COMPARISON
TYPE​
HEAVIER​
MODERATE​
LIGHTER​
STRENGTH​
10​
25​
50​
POWER​
50​
100​
200​
These are UPPER LIMIT CEILING values.
These are not optimal center values.

I have had good luck with this range of Reps for OLAD-style Programming.

Otherwise, I get some good results using a 2:1 ratio of "Ballistic Lifts" to "Grinds". This usually works when I'm substituting a lift that is a smaller part of a session. Not perfect, but it gets me close enough; most days.

Back
Top Bottom