all posts post new thread

Old Forum 10,000 swings under the sea

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
Finished Dan John's 10,000 swingalongs this week. There have been posts here before but thought I'd share my results and findings.

It took me longer to do than Dan's suggested time frame as life just got in the way and I had 2 colds which set me back. Well, not really getting over one properly led to it hanging around for longer. Still, took me 8 weeks rather than 5.

I chose the 24 as suggested and failed, managing 275 swings on my first day with ring pull ups as a strength move. Dan does suggest a test to discover the right bell which I didn't do but as you will see it was quite revealing the level of improvement made, using that as a baseline. As I no longer had any forearms left I went back to the 16 and during each cycle of 4 days, and sometimes during, peppered in the 20. The final 4 days all swing sets were with the 20. All my strength exercises were steadily increased - ring pull ups and ring dips went from bodyweight to 7.5 kg weighted (bell in a rucksack and on my foot, alternated) and those days, ie 5 sets of 1,2,3 ladders. The last 8 days were all 7.5kg. The other strength days were double C&P and double squat started with 16s and ended up with 20s. Both were new to me, having only really practiced with 16s before. On average, each day took 42 minutes. All the programme details are on Dan's blog.

I never weighed or measured myself before for some data so as I failed on my first attempt with the 24 I thought I would revisit today to check progress. And really today is when I actually finished as my first attempt was 225 short, so 10, 275 swings was the total. I did bodyweight ring pull ups and did all sets with the 24. Almost 50% improvement! From a 'there is no way I can carry on, this is madness' 275 and 3 sets of pull ups to a tough but manageable 500 and 5 sets of pull ups.

I hadn't done long swing sets like that before and found the volume really challenging in the beginning and steadily got into a rhythm. There is talk of a volume control with swings that I never understood before. I do now. A great programme that clearly delivers, thank you Dan.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom