all posts post new thread

Old Forum 100 Continous Swings/Snatches with 24kg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GalifreyTourist

Level 3 Valued Member
I all, I have recently started adding Continuous Swings as an addendum to my training. It is my goal to swing the 24kg bell one handed for 100 continuous reps.

In order to work up to that I have been doing sets of 25 and adding reps whenever I can in the same fashion as the Fighter pull up program. I make sure I am fully rested in between sets.

I cannot find any information on continuous swings/Snatches, except for S&S and the advice in there is to just go for it. :) Has anyone had any experience with continuous reps? Would they transfer well into the Snatch Test from RoP?  Is this the best way to approach this type of training? Are there any injury concerns I Should look for?

The rest of my training is low volume Clean and press, Front Squat, Ab wheel Rollout and Pull up (with Double 20kg bells). I added swings because I wanted some Posterior training.

Any Help or advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

To swing a lot you must swing a lot. I think that's in there somewhere, or it should be...

I think your approach is fine. If it's particularly important to you, perhaps do something like S&S that will have you swinging a lot more.  You might also try going heavier. If you can do ten sets of ten with 32, 100 continuous with 24 should be quite doable.

Are you wanting to swing the 24kg with the same hand for 100 reps or just “A” hand and switch as needed? I’ve found that as my conditioning developed and grip got stronger the more continuous reps I was able to do.

I think my first attempt at continuous swings I was only able to do 40 with the 24kg and within a short time I could do 50, then 60…. all without practicing continuous swings. Just tested them every few weeks to a month as stated in S&S.

High rep swings are a discipline unto themselves.

Switch hands every 10 reps....not because there is any magic in it, but because it's easy to count and it saves the grip in long sets....one hand is always resting.

Do not hit 100% maximum effort/tension in each rep.  The goal is to see how long you can go, not how hard you can make it. Use enough energy to do the job, no more. You don't need maximum tension for this, 24kg ain't heavy.

Stop any given set before you lose rep speed. Start back as soon as possible.

Daniel, I am not clear about your goal - is it to swing 100 with just one hand, e.g., 100 right-hand swings?

A pullup with a pair of 20 kg is a strong thing - nice going!

Whatever the specifics, variety to be a key ingredient of strength training in any form.  We can't always have it, but when we can, it's nice to incorporate it into our training.

I encourage you to try to work with both lighter and heavier weights than your 24 kg.  Try to get your goal with a lighter weight first, and also do some training with a heavier weight at least some of the time.   From my own training, I am convinced that a mix of the goal volume with a lighter weight and lower volume with your goal weight, and even lower volume with a heavier weight is a good path to success.

Please also note that the Fighter Pullup program isn't intended to be used for a long time.

-S-

oh. Sorry Steve I wasn't clear enough, I am doing Pull ups and Ab wheel (knees) with body weight.

My goal is to do 100 continuous swings with one hand, this is to improve my grip endurance and I'm hoping that it will carry over to my snatch test, I am hoping to move on to 100 high pulls (one handed) and then to get 50 continuous snatches. The main reason for these goals is to improve my grip strength for rock climbing and my shoulder endurance.

P.S I have hit the S&S goal with the 24kg bell.

"100 continuous swings with one hand, this is to improve my grip endurance and I’m hoping that it will carry over to my snatch test,"

Do you mean SFG snatch test? You can switch hands as often as you like, so grip endurance isn't the most effective place for your focus IMO.

Beyond that, if you want to get better at long sets of snatching with no hand switch, swings will not have nearly the effectiveness as incremental increase in snatches will.  Holding lockout while doing long snatch sets will do special things for your shoulder endurance.....

Holding lockout while doing long snatch sets will do special things for your shoulder endurance…..
Oh, that' s evil. If your ears start burning, then you know I tried this at home.

Chris, long overhead snatch holds are my standard way of returning to snatching and/or improving my performance.    I have done a number of snatch workouts recently where I'll do the same number of reps with the same weight for a total of 3 sets, but I'll do slow, medium, and quick paces, not all the same thing.  You'd be amazed how easy snatch-test-paced sessions become after you do some volume at a slow speed.

E.g, try taking a fixed number of snatches and doing them at a pace of 12/min, 16/min, and 20/min.  Each pace presents its own challenges.

-S-

Hey Steve thanks for your advice. I have been doing overhead lockouts with the 24kg bell after my swings, Also loaded carries in different positions when whether/time permits. Is this enough/

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom