all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 10min Secret Service Snatch Test

Neuro-Bob

Level 10 Valued Member
Suppose one wanted to train for the old school 10 minute secret service snatch test.

Would you take the recommendations applied to the 5 minute SFG snatch test (as in the article A Solid Game Plan For Acing The Snatch Test) and simply stretch it out to 10 minutes?

Or is there more to it…?

Bonus points question that’s not important - why the shift away from the 10min test and towards the 5min test? Kind of a “not necessary, point of diminishing returns” type of thing?

Suppose one wanted to train for the old school 10 minute secret service snatch test.

Would you take the recommendations applied to the 5 minute SFG snatch test (as in the article A Solid Game Plan For Acing The Snatch Test) and simply stretch it out to 10 minutes?

Or is there more to it…?

Bonus points question that’s not important - why the shift away from the 10min test and towards the 5min test? Kind of a “not necessary, point of diminishing returns” type of thing?
That's probably what I would do, not that I have any interest in doing the 10-minute test. I've done the 5-minute test a couple times, and it was a little less than fun. Lol.

I believe the shift from 10 to 5-minutes is due to the 5-minute test being a part of the Tactical Strength Challenge and followed max deadlift and max tactical pull ups.

Or is there more to it…?

I plan to train for the 10 min SSST. There is a Prep program for it in Speed Metal. I think the 5 minute test exists because it is more realistic to achieve for more people. 200 in 10 minutes is a pretty high level of strength and conditioning. There is also mention of doing hard runs on an incline to build the type of hard core cardio you need for the SSST.

I've trained up for it using this program
I also come form an endurance running/cycling background so building up the strength was my issue, the cardio was mostly there. YMMV

Or is there more to it…?

I think the 5 minute could be compared to the simple standard while the 10 minute is the Sinister standard.

The 5 minute is probably good enough for daily life but if you want to test yourself and be one of the few, the 10 minute secret Service Snatch Test is for you.

I haven't done this, but my personal observation is that anything past about 2 minutes requires different energy systems, and I think preparing for 5-minute version of the test is a fine foundation for getting ready for the 10 minute version and, as you've already observed, you could stretch it out to 10 minutes.

-S-

Or is there more to it…?

Originally, the snatch test was just a number with one hand switch (basically girevoy sport numbers) and as much time as you wanted but no putting the bell down. Later, the 5 min time limit and unlimited hand switches w. putting the bell down being permitted were introduced - I think the emphasis on speed was more in line with the "hard style" philosophy.

When I trained for the SSST, I attacked it from two directions. One was improving max speed so that I could comfortably snatch at 23-25 rpm with the 24kg. The other was endurance - how long could I snatch without switching hands (because switching hands takes more time), how long could I maintain a high pace. I didn't mess around with rep schemes to much - I just stuck with switching hands every 10 reps iirc, and if the pace slowed a lot, then I'd switch hands every 5.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses everyone! Anything I know about strength and fitness really comes from this forum (and a couple books), so I appreciate your practical insight.

It seems like it boils down to two sessions per week, possibly a third that’s either AXE style snatches or “conditioning” focused one arm swings. I can work pretty well within that loose framework.

I don’t consider myself from a strength or conditioning background, but basically a “convict conditioning - turned StrongFirst” fitness background. I expect it’s at least a reasonable place to start from.

I completed the SSST in October and this is what I did to get there.

3 snatch sessions per week on top of other programming.
One session is with a 24kg, one with a 32kg, and one with a 12kg.

My 12kg sessions would be very high volume EMOMs and would hit up to 600 reps in a session.

My 24kg sessions were typically A&A sessions, EMOMs etc, where I would aim to steadily increase volume per session over the weeks. I aimed for around 150 snatches in this session at the start of training (total, not each hand). As training progressed the volume would surpass 200 reps.

My 32kg sessions were strength based, and I took the rest I needed to make sure I wouldn't let that thing go flying away from me into the neighbour's yard. I'd go for anywhere between 50 and 100 reps per session.

During training, I incorporated shoulder mobility exercises and warmups along with dead hangs.

When it came to the actual test, I chose to do a descending ladder
13R, 13L, 12R, 12L...1R, 1L and then finish with at least another 9R, 9L for 200 reps. It made it easier for me knowing that each set I had to do 1 less snatch, until the last set of 9+ reps where I emptied the tank. I was able to hit 200 with time to spare.

Some use chalk some don't. I don't, but you can practice both ways and see what suits you best.

Good luck!

I came across @Harald Motz heart rate graph for the SSST, where he just reaches 165 bpm:

You could train like he did, I believe it was something like this:
  • High volume snatches with 40 and 48 kg combined with slow jogging, for 8 years.
  • Do the SSST.

Harold Motz is on another level. I saw a video of him not too long ago of him doing Q&D with 40kg. Then doing a 2 hands anyhow with like 64kg in the bent press and 36 in the other.

I completed the SSST in October and this is what I did to get there.

3 snatch sessions per week on top of other programming.
One session is with a 24kg, one with a 32kg, and one with a 12kg.

My 12kg sessions would be very high volume EMOMs and would hit up to 600 reps in a session.

My 24kg sessions were typically A&A sessions, EMOMs etc, where I would aim to steadily increase volume per session over the weeks. I aimed for around 150 snatches in this session at the start of training (total, not each hand). As training progressed the volume would surpass 200 reps.

My 32kg sessions were strength based, and I took the rest I needed to make sure I wouldn't let that thing go flying away from me into the neighbour's yard. I'd go for anywhere between 50 and 100 reps per session.

During training, I incorporated shoulder mobility exercises and warmups along with dead hangs.

When it came to the actual test, I chose to do a descending ladder
13R, 13L, 12R, 12L...1R, 1L and then finish with at least another 9R, 9L for 200 reps. It made it easier for me knowing that each set I had to do 1 less snatch, until the last set of 9+ reps where I emptied the tank. I was able to hit 200 with time to spare.

Some use chalk some don't. I don't, but you can practice both ways and see what suits you best.

Good luck!
This is helpfull because i might need to restructure my snatch training soon.

12kg sessions. How do you determine you up the reps?
- Longer sessions (30-40 minuts)
- More reps per minute (20-30 reps)
- Based on HR Zone?

32kg sessions. Are these 5 rep sessions or something? And just rest as long as possible?

I didn't start kettlebells until I was 40. I wish I had found them 15 years earlier. My best was 164 and I trained for it.
Mistake Made: Don't put the bell down unless you absolutely have to. Because once you do it once, you'll do it again and again.
Don't worry about the reps at first train for keeping the bell moving and resting at the top.

If you've never done 10 minutes, it's a different animal. Do it with a 16 and 20 kg bell first just so you know what you're getting into.

Take care of your forearms, elbows, hands and shoulders. Please give us updates. I love this type of stuff.

TRAINING UPDATE 1

Estimated SSST date:
early Nov 2024

Current focus: training for a marathon in june

Current SSST focus: “snatch base building”. Taking that concept from running, or a Phase Zero in those high speed tactical athlete programs. Basically im working on a different goal, but the “off days” for that goal are geared towards a foundation to build future SSST training from.

What That Looks Like:
….5 hours slow jogging weekly, give or take

….1-2 heavy snatch sessions weekly. Poor man’s A&A where I just do an amount of reps on the minute for about 20min, and after 3-5 sessions increase the reps by one. Currently doing 20min of 3 reps at 70lbs OTM.

….1-2 heavy cook carry sessions weekly. Usually done after snatches, or from a hotel gym. Inspiration from Dan John’s concept that to do a lot of pull-ups you should be able to hang from the bar for a long time, I figure the same principle applies. To do 200 snatches in 10min, rough math says I should be able to hold the kettlebell in the overhead rest position for about 3:20.

Final Thoughts
I’ll be on this general pattern until the marathon in June.

I don’t really come from an endurance background or a weightlifting background, so both the marathon and the SSST are a bit of a stretch for me. You could say my foundation is calisthenics and heavy Turkish getups.

My training shuffles a lot based on opportunity. I’m on the road frequently, so often have to adapt based on what is available at the hotel gym or in the neighborhood nearby. Opportunistic optimization. As such I don’t typically adhere to strict plans, but tend to take principles found in programs or advice and do what seems to work.

This is helpfull because i might need to restructure my snatch training soon.

12kg sessions. How do you determine you up the reps?
- Longer sessions (30-40 minuts)
- More reps per minute (20-30 reps)
- Based on HR Zone?

32kg sessions. Are these 5 rep sessions or something? And just rest as long as possible?
Sorry for the delayed response.

For 12kg sessions (or really any kettlebell you have that feels appropriately light) I started with 10 minute EMOM sessions and would do 15 reps each hand during the minute for 30 reps/minute and whatever little rest time was left before the next minute. It doesn't feel challenging until you get several minutes in, but the kettlebell should never feel heavy. These sessions shouldn't challenge your grip strength, but are meant to accustom your body to sheer volume of the snatch movement and the cardiovascular endurance it requires. I increased the length of the EMOMs as time progressed up to 20 minutes and 600 reps but kept the 15 R,L rep scheme the same as fitting more reps into the minute may not give you any time to rest.

Exactly right with the 32kg. 5 reps each hand or even 2-3-5 reps with a few minutes rest, repeated until my grip felt overly taxed. I didn't time my rest, and only went back for the next set when I felt ready to, so I'm sure there was a variance between resting times that increased as the session went on. The session would be over when my grip on the downswing felt compromised or unsafe.

Pat Flynn has guest Derek Toshner on his podcast which was very helpful to my SSST training. Toshner has completed SSST with the 32kg and is a beast of an athlete. I highly recommend listening to this podcast if you can.

Back
Top Bottom