all posts post new thread

Old Forum 12" high benches

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I need a pair of 12" high benches for the Van Dam lift. Anyone know who might make these, have used for sale, etc.? Standard benches are 16" and up.

Thanks.

-S-

Amazon has some low stools which might work:  http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Slip-Resistant-Stool-Height/dp/B004MHGPYC/ref=sr_1_6?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1384195282&sr=1-6&keywords=12%22+stool

You could also use 16" benches and a box (2x4 + 1/2" plywood = 4") for the dumbbell.

You are inspiring btw.  Enjoy your exploits.

-Mike E

Thanks, Mike.

They need to be benches - the padding makes a big difference as you get into position, and the lift is plenty hard enough without having a smaller or lighter platform.  Regular bench press benches, just lower, are what the doctor ordered here, or at least a design that would allow the legs to be cut down somehow.

-S-

If you can't find ready made 12" benches it would be easier (and cheaper) to make a 4" platform for in between two standard 16" benches than to DIY two benches.  I'd hate to cut down an expensive bench (or two).  I'm pretty much a cheapskate.  Can't imagine even trying that lift, I haven't done splits in about 40 years.  You're my hero already doing that in your 50's.  Hope you get the record.

In the distant past I made a 12" high bench in about 20 minutes by:

a) cutting three 12" pieces off a 2 X 12 board and,

b) screwing those 3 pieces onto  what was left of the board, and,

c) duct-taping a piece of foam rubber onto the bench for padding.

Best of luck,

Wood

Hey Steve

I'm not sure where you're located, but it would be a pretty easy job for anyone who does metal fabrication to take a few inches off the legs of a regular bench and weld it back together. I work at a community college, and I've had the welding guys here do some stuff for me that I paid for with beer. You could also just post it in the gigs section on Craigslist.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom