all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 16kg->24kg TGU transition difficulties - any advice?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The OP hasn't yet worked with an SFG or posted a video to the best of my knowledge - both of those thing will help and without the need for an in-between size kettlebell.

these two definitely make a huge difference..

Well, as I said earlier, I hurt myself with weights more than I can remember (And I have a pretty decent memory). Almost always it was because I took on a weight that was heavier than I was capable of handling. You, guys, seem to be very confident that this guy will not get injured by handling too heavy a weight, and frankly I envy your confidence.

By the way, is lighter weight ever an answer to these kinds of problems? If yes, when and why?

When practicing the tension-based techniques of strength that we teach at StrongFirst, we often find that there is a "right" weight, one which requires proper tension and technique without being too heavy - but it must be heavy enough. The point here is not to give up on a heavier weight because, as several other people have mentioned earlier in this thread, a single session with an SFG may be all that's needed to fix form and technique issues and make the heavier weight "all of a sudden" appropriate. We see literally instant gains in strength by many of the attendees of our instructor certifications and courses - even among people who are experienced with kettlebell lifts such as the military press, it's not uncommon for half the room to set a new personal best, and this is in the midst of a long and demanding 3 days of training.

Of course, sometimes a lighter weight is the right answer. But for a 65 kg adult male who has only worked with 16 kg and finds his first tries at the 24 kg daunting, learning is our preferred answer. For many things, learning is StrongFirst's preferred answer.

-S-

Last edited:
Thanks all for your input on this. Since I posted originally (in September) I continued working on 24kg get-ups and was progressing very well, gradually replacing more sets with 24kg. I got pretty sick over Christmas and have only recently been well enough to come back so I went back to 16kg and have started to go up from there.

I note that in the new version of S+S Pavel suggests either the old weight jumps and then spending 4 weeks (minimum) with that weight before adding a second set at that weigh and so on or using a half-size weight and spending 2 weeks at each incremental position.

Cheers,

Chris

When practicing the tension-based techniques of strength that we teach at StrongFirst, we often find that there is a "right" weight, one which requires proper tension and technique without being too heavy - but it must be heavy enough
There is the same concept in Original Strength: The right load improves posture and movement patterns and provides the right stimulus. Too heavy and form breaks down. Too light and poor coordination might occur because it can.

(Walking with a light weight on the crown of your head improves posture. Too heavy might lead to a stiff shuffle walk. No weight and you can move however you want)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom