all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 1h swing, lower back concern

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Doc-Rush

First Post
background: 35, 5-10, 178lbs. Slightly rolled-forward right shoulder (I've noticed this recently while beginning to exercise, and have been stretching daily with noticeable success - probably from bad posture and desk use). Previous exercise is mostly running. Id regularly run 5ks 2-3 times a week.

I picked up s&s 01Nov starting with a 16kg. Swings were too easy, but TGUs were "let's hope I don't drop this on my face". I stuck with swinging the 16 until I was ready to move up with the TGU, which was about two weeks.

I went to 20kg, swings were still easy so I moved to 1h and I could feel my packed shoulders working harder to not 'unpack'. My TGUs were getting much cleaner, and I was holding the weight steadily for 5-8 seconds at each position, felt ready to test myself again, with results telling me to move up in weight.

I began with the 24kg about two weeks ago. My swings felt good 2 handed. My TGUs were honestly ugly -- my legs would come off the ground when moving to my elbow, my feet would shift at the lunge, the bridge was wobbly, etc. It took several days, but I noticed earlier this week that my TGUs are much cleaner.

Questions:
1: My 2h swings and my 1hl swing feel great. When I move to do my 1hr swing, I don't feel the center-back muscles tense to hold my shoulder blade down and I feel like I'm fighting to keep my shoulder in my socket. Is this related to my rolled shoulder? Feels like it is, but outside of continuing to stretch, is there something I can do to improve? Should I stick with 2h swings for a few more weeks? To add to the mystery, my r-TGU is cleaner than my l-TGU, and I have an easier time mentally keeping my shoulder packed with the right during the TGU, but not wth the swing.

2: After swings, I get soreness in hams and glutes only slightly, but would rate my lower back soreness at moderate. I've been told I shouldn't feel it in my lower back. Neither glutes nor back hurt, just typical exercise 'I feel it' type soreness after moving up in weight. Is this normal? My lower back/butt posture was terrible two months ago. My wife says posture looks much better, so mentally I attribute the lower back soreness to my body correcting weak muscles. But it's sticking in my head that the only other guy I know that does kettle bell workouts said it wasn't normal and a quick Google search seems to agree with him. Anyone else get sore muscles in the lower back?

3: I don't have a heart rate monitor, and I use the talk-test to determine time between sets. However, when I'm done with the TGUs, sweat is pouring off me. Not asking for advice here, but more wondering if this is normal? Should I slow down between sets and give the rest more time, or follow with the talk test and keep to that? Sweating doesn't bother me, hell I feel healthier and it takes more than walking out of a gym with a soaked shirt on a military base to embarrass me, but if it's a sign that I need to slow down, I'd like to know. If it matters, I'm generally holding each position, up and down, for 2-3 seconds with the 24kg.

Any and all advice appreciated. I know a video showing form would help, but it isn't possible at this time.

Welcome Doc-rush,

I started S&S 10 weeks ago and my lower back was very sore with the two handed swings. When switching to one handers the abs sides got sore.

However not me to tell if this was caused by bad form or weak links, or it was from the TGU? Just sharing a very similar experience as yours.

This week it's my shoulders that gets sore as I try to make my swings more explosive. My shoulders are definitely weak.

Can't really say about the shoulder. I used to get lower back pain/soreness from swings as well. Found out later that I was using my arm(s) to partially lift the bell. Could be what you're doing as well. I would check with an SFG. As for the sweating during TGUs, i would say that's pretty normal if you sweat a lot during other physical activities. Hope I helped.

Interesting, then try the swing using a towel as described in RTK, to check the performance.

I would say that some level of back pain is normal, but it can also be a symptom of using your upper body to lift the bell instead of the hip drive. The resting on the floor after training as prescribed in the book should fix the normal pain that you may have.

I wouldn't worry about the sweating.

Regarding you swings and shoulder problems, I don't see any harm in taking it more slowly and using different weights for swings and TGUs. Keep the repetition range on something you're certain of and go from there. Some military presses could help your shoulder if they're not too much for it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom