all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 1KB carryover to lighter Dbl KB

Jeff Vece

Level 3 Valued Member
I'm currently running The Giant 3.0 with dbl 20kg bells (my appx. 5-7RM at the start of the program).

Planning to run it for a couple more weeks, go on vacation for a week, then run 3.0 again with the same weight when I come back. Then test my RM and hopefully run 1.0 with the same bells.

However... I also have a single 24kg bell laying around and it got me thinking...

If I were to run say a 4-week block with a single 24, should I expect a larger increase in my RM with the double 20s than if I stuck with the 20s? Or is the higher systemic load of the double bells more effective for building pressing strength than the higher single arm load?

Anybody have experience testing this out?

I'm currently running The Giant 3.0 with dbl 20kg bells (my appx. 5-7RM at the start of the program).

Planning to run it for a couple more weeks, go on vacation for a week, then run 3.0 again with the same weight when I come back. Then test my RM and hopefully run 1.0 with the same bells.

However... I also have a single 24kg bell laying around and it got me thinking...

If I were to run say a 4-week block with a single 24, should I expect a larger increase in my RM with the double 20s than if I stuck with the 20s? Or is the higher systemic load of the double bells more effective for building pressing strength than the higher single arm load?

Anybody have experience testing this out?
Interesting question and I don't have an answer to the 20kg to 24kg part but when I did hypertrophy program with double 20kg after not practising doubles for at least a year and mostly clean and pressing the 32kg (my max press is 36kg) and running 10k swing challenge with a 24kg I could definitely do more reps with double 20s... not by much though. what makes the question interesting is the "only" 4kg jump. Lighter doubles are still so much more systemically demanding.Gun to my head the answer is no buuuuut...I would still do it for variety reason. Sorry that I answered because my experience is not exactly the same.

@Kirill Igorevich Surprised to hear pressing the 32 didn’t have more carryover, would have thought that would be a sure thing.

You’ve both convinced me though. Definitely going to run a block with the 24. I suspect the variety will plug up some holes and the lower CNS load may actually be beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom