all posts post new thread

Nutrition NY Times Article - Salt in Food

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor

Direct link to my comment on the article:

LMK if the links don't work for anyone - impossible for me to tell since they do work for me. TIA.

-S-

Your response is absolutely spot on. The Salt Fix by DiNicalantanio is essential reading. BTW, I watched a video where they explained why large quantities of bad things are added to processed food - Corn Flakes without added salt tastes like metal and resulted in taste testers spitting the food out. And, if you're wondering where the metal taste comes from, watch this:

Your response is absolutely spot on. The Salt Fix by DiNicalantanio is essential reading. BTW, I watched a video where they explained why large quantities of bad things are added to processed food - Corn Flakes without added salt tastes like metal and resulted in taste testers spitting the food out. And, if you're wondering where the metal taste comes from, watch this:

I love corn flakes. Let's look at the ingredients of corn flakes as sold by Kellogs in the US.

Milled corn, sugar, malt flavor, contains 2% or less of salt. Vitamins and Minerals: Iron (ferric phosphate), niacinamide, vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamin hydrochloride), folic acid, vitamin D3. vitamin B12.

The vitamins and minerals added are called due a program of food "fortification," which is commonly done to prevent deficiencies from occurring in childhood. Many things are fortified for these reasons - including most milk, many cereals, and even salt. These are not "bad things" added to processed food.

This article gives some additional explanation for fortification of foods, some rationales why, as well as some advantages and disadvantages.

I love corn flakes. Let's look at the ingredients of corn flakes as sold by Kellogs in the US.

Milled corn, sugar, malt flavor, contains 2% or less of salt. Vitamins and Minerals: Iron (ferric phosphate), niacinamide, vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamin hydrochloride), folic acid, vitamin D3. vitamin B12.

The vitamins and minerals added are called due a program of food "fortification," which is commonly done to prevent deficiencies from occurring in childhood. Many things are fortified for these reasons - including most milk, many cereals, and even salt. These are not "bad things" added to processed food.

This article gives some additional explanation for fortification of foods, some rationales why, as well as some advantages and disadvantages.

Cyanocobalamin (lovin' the cyanide molecule), iron filings and cheapest, least bioavailable forms of the B vitamins along with folic acid instead of folate.

Folic acid has no known physiological effect on human biochemistry.

Zero.

While folic acid looks similar to natural folate, it is not close enough. Synthetic folic acid is lacking the body’s most fundamental biochemical compound – a methyl group.

To convert folic acid into methylated folate requires a) multiple functional genes producing b) functional enzymes which requires c) adequate cofactors. This is difficult enough. It is not all. The enzymes produced must also be in an environment free of compounds which interfere with their function – such as medications, heavy metals, cytokines, chemicals.

While rats can convert folic acid into dihydrofolate quickly and successfully, human biochemistry does not.

Only 200 mcg of folic acid can move through a human enzyme called DHFR. This is in humans who have a functional DHFR gene. There are known DHFR variants which lead to a further significant reduction in function. What does this mean? It means that folic acid is even less effective.

We made a dangerous assumption. We assumed since rats can convert folic acid easily into dihydrofolate, humans can too.

Since humans cannot convert folic acid effectively, the excess leads to high amounts of what is known as unmetabolized folic acid in the blood. Unmetabolized folic acid is folic acid.

Cyanocobalamin (lovin' the cyanide molecule)
Cyanocobalamin is one form of B12, and has been found to be effective in preventing B12 deficiency. And, although the cyanide may be scary (it is in apple seeds after all), cyanocobalamin has actually been used to TREAT cyanide poisoning. Additionally, our bodies have enzymes that can effectively neutralize small amounts of cyanide we do ingest (again, like from apple seeds, but it is actually pretty common - including staples like cassava and almonds).
iron filings
Ferric phosphate, and iron fortification in general, has mixed results on whether or not it effect iron deficiency/anemia, which is discussed in the previously linked article. However, numerous studies have found it to be effective.
cheapest, least bioavailable forms of the B vitamins
Yes, bioavailability can be an issue with many vitamins and minerals. Which is why studies are done to see whether or not the fortification process has effected nutritional deficiencies.
folic acid instead of folate.
Folic acid is controversial, however research has indicated that it is not useless. Funnily enough, folic acid in fortified food is better absorbed than folate from natural food sources.

Just because something is a synthetic form of a naturally occurring vitamin does not mean it works worse.

Many of these things have many many many years of studies looking at humans, human health, human metabolism, etc. Some things are still controversial in that there are some studies that show no benefit, some that show negative effects, and some that show benefits.

Again, while it is easy to throw everything away, fortification of food was done to solve a very real problem of micronutrient deficiencies, particularly for low and middle income people/countries. It is easy to cast stones, and criticism of implementation is warranted (again, read the article I linked - they mention numerous problems with fortification, but they also mention benefits), but saying "bad things were put in and that's why they added salt" just doesn't make sense. At least not with corn flakes.

The non-internet reality is that when you look at low income countries that implement food fortification programs, you see a dramatic decrease in childhood mortality, birth defects, and developmental abnormalities.

Direct link to my comment on the article:

LMK if the links don't work for anyone - impossible for me to tell since they do work for me. TIA.

-S-
Your comment, IMO, spot on, well done.

TOP PICKS according to CL

Ghirardelli Intense Dark 72% Cacao Dark Chocolate

Lily's Sea Salt - Extra Dark Chocolate - 70% Cocoa

Montezuma's Dark Chocolate Absolute Black - 100% Cocoa

NOT APPROVED because of higher amounts of cadmium than listed on the label.

*Green & Black's Organic Dark Chocolate - Dark 85% Cacao

*Alter Eco Deep Dark Blackout - 85% Cocoa

*Evolved Midnight Coconut 100% Cacao Chocolate Bar

*Taza Chocolate Wicked Dark - 95% Dark

*Theo Sea Salt - 70% Dark Chocolate

*Trader Joe's Uganda 85% Dark Chocolate Bar

I am not particular. Just not crappy.

-S-

For the last couple of weeks, it's been something they have near the cash register at the grocery store I go to on Sundays after playing the organ in church.

Lake Champlain, *five star bar"

I bought a few. The one in front of me at the moment says 1.85 oz (52 g), ingredients are dark chocolate, almond butter, roasted almonds, crunchy quinoa.

-S-

The new BEAST Bars are pretty good.

I'm also a fan of Hu's chocolate. But its pricy, so I don't buy it often.

Back
Top Bottom