all posts post new thread

Nutrition NY Times Article - Salt in Food

@Ben Strong, once I got to a certain age, I started having muscle cramps, and tried various things in my diet to alleviate them, and supplemental potassium was the only thing that worked for me. 600 mg every morning is what I've settled on for the last number of years.

Have a link to one of those combo's you're using?

Thanks.

-S-

@Ben Strong, once I got to a certain age, I started having muscle cramps, and tried various things in my diet to alleviate them, and supplemental potassium was the only thing that worked for me. 600 mg every morning is what I've settled on for the last number of years.

Have a link to one of those combo's you're using?

Thanks.

-S-
Good to know. It can certainly be hard to get your daily intake of potassium so supplemental potassium makes a lot of sense. I think it's a nutrient that is oft overlooked. Here is a link to the one I have at home being sold at Walmart but you can find them at pretty much any major grocery store as well, they are sold alongside the regular salt in the spices isle.

Robot or human?

Your point about potassium is one I don't see often in this discussion. There are table salts available that are a mixture of Sodium Salt (NaCl) and Potassium Salt (KCl). Studies were done where the subjects simply swapped their regular table salt for these sodium/potassium combos when salting their food and had quite a remarkable improvement in blood pressures. Many people following a modern western diet (I know that's a debatable term in and of itself) are quite deficient in potassium in the first place so this can be a useful trick. Also the fact that you mentioned about potassium counteracting the sodium's effect.

These potassium/sodium salt combos are usually marketed as salt lite or lite salt. I use them myself with success in maintaining my blood pressure. I honestly can't taste a difference when adding it to home cooking so it's an easy swap.
That JAMA article I linked is jaw dropping. Its amazing the amount of things that are common knowledge in the ER that never make it out into the wild.

BTW, for the low, low price of roughly USD $600 you can find out your intracellular mineral levels and know where you stand on 6 minerals.

EXA Test® was developed as an assay for difficult to detect intracellular mineral
electrolyte deficiencies or imbalance. EXA Test provides information not available
through blood tests. Using direct tissue analysis EXA Test provides results that
correlate with heart, muscle and deep organ tissue not with blood.

EXA Test provides an analysis of tissue where 99% of essential mineral
electrolytes are found. For example, 99% of magnesium is found in soft
tissue and less than 1% of magnesium is found in blood.

Through clinical practice and extensive research, this noninvasive test has proven to
assist the healthcare provider in managing heart disease and other physiological
dysfunctions where mineral electrolytes are compromised.

EXA results assist the healthcare provider in establishing treatment protocols that
improve the patient's intracellular status, manage symptoms, improve stamina and
quality of life.

The EXA Test, tissue mineral electrolyte analysis, includes all ions and ratios for
the following essential light elements:

Magnesium Magnesium/Calcium
Calcium Phosphorus/Calcium
Potassium Potassium/Magnesium
Phosphorus Potassium/Calcium
Sodium Potassium/Sodium
Chloride Phosphorus/Magnesium

Along with a helpful review by an atrial fibrillation sufferer as to whether the test is worth it.

Last edited:
I've had a similar issue. I started reintroducing potatoes to my regular rotation of food and have had great results.

Cheap, tasty, and a potato has about 900mg of potassium.
Cream of Tartar with a Magnesium Water ( 7/8 tspn. mag. hydroxide mixed in 1 liter of carbonated water ) chaser. Easy.

Green and Black is so good. We did a big blind tasting once of higher end chocolate and this won over some crazy $$$$ bars.
I agree, Green and Black is the absolute best tasting. My local grocery stores are not selling it any longer, which makes me sad, but considering it has tested very high in cadmium (and maybe lead?), might be a blessing in disguise.

I've had a similar issue. I started reintroducing potatoes to my regular rotation of food and have had great results.

Cheap, tasty, and a potato has about 900mg of potassium.
Some other sources I like, dried figs, raisins, black strap molasses, tomato paste, and grass fed ground beef 85/15, has around 1300mg per pound, with lean grass fed steak at around 1500mg/lb, 1700 mg in a 15oz can of org. black beans

@Steve Freides you may find this interesting from Dr. Andy Galpin. It's sort of along the lines of your comment to the NYT article.

I forgot about that.
I used to take shots of it pre workout forever ago and forgot the reason why.

I do like the taste.
Started using this again on 4/23. Like it, and less expensive/better ( IMO ) than various forms of GU.

Back
Top Bottom